Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to shoot hogs

Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM

Default Where to shoot hogs

I am an archery hunter and i am wondering where to shoot hogs with my bow. i have shot alot and the shots looked very well place but there was barely any blood and i coudlnt find them. the only one i found was quartering away from me and he only went like 30 yards and left a big blood trail. So i am wondering if they are broadside, where should i shoot them?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Where to shoot hogs

Shoot a hog just like you would a deer..behind the sholder thru the vitals.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually,a hogs heart and lungs are a little lower and closer to the shoulder than a deer. They are also a little smaller. You want to get that arrow tucked in as close behind the shoulder as you can and a little on the low side.

Here's a diagram I found on the net:

Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Never shot a hog, but like npaded says, behind the shoulder pretty much. They are a lot like a bear, a quartering away shot is the best shot for an archery hunter that way you can sneak an arrow up into the heart.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing to mention is that large boar hogs do have a type of armour on their shoulder skin. It is very thick and strong. Really wild when you start skinning them, almost like a 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass is stuck in there. On a good bow with a good broadhead it should still make it through, but it probably wouldn't make a complete pass through. A slight quartering away shot is considered the ideal position, between the large shoulder blades and the armour a direct shoulder hit could make for a long difficult tracking job. Pigs seem to be able to hold up to a good hit better than a deer IMO. I've shot some with my 7mm Rem Mag that were good hits and they ran 400+ yards.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BigHunter101

I am an archery hunter and i am wondering where to shoot hogs with my bow. i have shot alot and the shots looked very well place but there was barely any blood and i coudlnt find them. the only one i found was quartering away from me and he only went like 30 yards and left a big blood trail. So i am wondering if they are broadside, where should i shoot them?

In the 1980's there was a setup that goes on a bow.
That attached a very fine string to the arrow.
And when you shoot a deer the string would folow the deer,
and was attached to your bow so all you had to do is follow the string to the deer.
I don't know if there still is something like it or not.

Do you have a pic of deer like the hog?

JM2cents.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a neat animated gif for deer:

You can see that the lungs on a deer are a lot bigger and go much farther back than on a hog.