Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

using bait

Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: using bait

remington, baiting is illegal where we live anyways. and im sorry but it really does seem like your trying to get something started here
Old 10-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dont use any type of bait, scent, lure, etc. I'm more than happy to hunt the edge of a cut cornfield, however, that is using the local terrain rather than creating an artificial attractant. And there is a big difference between dealing with a deer that is coming to feed in a 40 acre field versus a deer coming to a feeder. Having said that, i dont really care what other folks do.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:05 PM

I voted "No" and don't because it is illegal here in Alabama. They have put a bill in to be voted on for the past years, but it keeps getting shot down.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad, brother, and i have a gooseneck trailer with 16 55gal. drums full of cleaned corn, so yes i use bait. In fact, i don't know anyone who doesn't bait. Baiting is legal on all private land here, and i have killed bucks on public land without bait(all with my bow too). Using corn is no different IMHO than sitting beside a corn field or hunting fruit trees(like i do on public land). Just another food source IMO
Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Arkansas it is legal to bait deer, however it is not legal to bait doves for example. Heres the catch, a buddy of mine which farms, baits out a 20 acre field with wheat every fall to dove hunt on. They do not grow any wheat for sale, just 20 acreas for hunting, but it legal for them to do it because they are farmers. Hunters up in the mid-west hunt over cut corn fields which is legal and ok with me to do, but where I deer hunt in the ozarks of Arkansas there are no farm crops at to its way to rocky. So what the difference in putting out the corn versus hunting over a cut corn field? Both are hunting over bait are they not? Just for the record I keep pellets in my feeders through the summer and corn and pellets mix through the winter. I dont hunt the feeders all the time either.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Spike

Gee all the people who say the debate over baiting has been beat to death must be right. In the last week there has been 7 or 8 posts asking questions about peanut butter, c'mere deer, corn, etc. I did notice that one of the guys who stated he didn't bait on this thread then discussed how a supplement he used in a corn feeder didn't didn't seem to work on a different thread.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

If hunting over a cornfield is baiting.. Then I have access to thousands of acres of pre-baited hunting land. I should have no problem getting the buck of my dreams this year.

The only time you will get a deer to come to a corn pile here in South Dakota, is in January when there is two feet of snow everywhere and the local elevator still has some corn piled on the ground.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:35 AM

i dont have a problem with baiting or shooting them in a cage ,i dont do any of it.no im not above anyone else just to lazy to bait and to cheap to killem in a can.im glad most people can talk about things with reasions why or why not with out the name calling . i have posted on other forums aboutqdm and why i dont like it and some good things about it,i was called every name you can think of. no one ever said i was right or wrong?sometimes we need to talk and think.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Spike

Well said dirgo. Sometimes theDISCUSSION is important.I understand I will not change anyone's opinion if they are opposed to baiting. They won't change mineeither. My only hope is that if their against it they mayrealizethat if it's a legal practice where they live, thatthose who chose to use it are only taking advantage of another"legal" practice you may notchose to use. I would also like to provide anyone who mightbe on the fence some pro reasons toallow it. With all this said I must insayIlive in a state where baiting is illegal. I hope someday my state will change it's stance on baiting and finally allow it.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:32 AM

Baiting is fine, unless it is illegal where you live. This is the same debate as bows vs. crossbows, and rifles vs. shotguns/ muzzleoaders. You don't here golfers arguing over whether using metal woods is unethical. If you don't like baiting, then don't bait. One of the great things about hunting is you get to set (most of) your own rules.

Quick Reply: using bait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.