Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in the Wind

Old 10-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default Hunting in the Wind

Its very windy here and I was woundering do you hunt in a different way when the wind is blowing around 20 to 30 miles an hour? Do the deer move differently or at all? Every time I get out to hunt its windy and I haven't seen any deer. any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in the Wind

from my personal experiences, deer don't move as often as they normally do when it's windy. a deer's best defense is their nose which is virtually eliminated during high winds. with that being said, deer still have to get up and move to eat and drink no matter what the weather conditions are. some states (mainly the western states) are always windy, which i believe the deer have adapted to and don't pay much attention to.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Spike

Thanks I think I will just still hunt today.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was just going to recommend still hunting. The key is to go sssslllllllooooooowwwwwww.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a doe yesterday morning in 15-20 mph winds and cloudy.
Went back out in the afternoon in 20-30 mph winds and heavy, heavy rain.
Didn't see any deer, but did have a fox come in to the spot I nailed the doe.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would reccomend still hunting but from experience i have seen that deer do not move as much when its windy. I guess its because they cant determine the sounds they are hearing as the trees or another animal in the woods. i dont know
Old 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the rut gets close I have seen buck movement still very good. Maybe even better than calmer days. I believe the does bed down in tight cover and the bucks move more to find them.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Spike

Thanks guys After I got our trampoline picked up that blew through the yard because of the winds I did get out. I'm not able to get out much and it seems that it is always windy. Now I only have access to public land. I did kick up a deer crossing through really thick brush and nothing else all day. Found a bunch of rubs and scrapes. I am woundering also if the problem is do to most of the corn is still unpicked.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 PM

That could be a problem, the unharvested corn that is. The deer in my area will not get up and moving as early in the evening when the corn is still standing, they just don't need as much time to find food when it is that easy. I think the still hunting idea is the best for you, that is what I do when it is windy and I've had relatively decent success.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, i don't hunt if it's real windy. I used to hunt all the time regardless, but i found that in the wind deer movement was way way down. In the very few cases that i did see deer, they were on me before i could see them as i could not hear them walking around. I don't really have the type of property that is great for still hunting either.

Quick Reply: Hunting in the Wind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.