Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's the oldest Deer you have Shot? >

What's the oldest Deer you have Shot?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the oldest Deer you have Shot?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

how about this year? any new "old" bucks shot?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

i never try to tell how old a deer is and i could care less,if he has enough antler to suit me i'll kill him. this age thing has been brought on by stupid tv shows,those people know how old there deer are ,cause they raised them like dogs. i had a guy tell me once that hunted a high fence ranch and killed a big buck . the owner gave him a piece of paper the next day,he said this is your deer's birth certificate. it had his name on it. i've had a few bioligist laugh at those guys aging bucks the way they do on tv,there are alot of varibles as to how a bucks body will look at a certian age. i'm a horn hunter mostly,not to say i won't kill one for meat . i'd rather kill a monster 4 yr old then never see him again at 6. where i live along the shenandoah national park we will always have some very old mature deer that show up. with thousands of acres of mtn that will never by hunted , i don't worry about it.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Spike

i have taken a 5.5 yr. old doe. they get pretty big at that age. long drag out, it hurt a bit.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

i shot an 8.5 last spring in a ttp. age is a huge variable in managing a herd. that was a low fence operation in south exas and he scored 136. the oldest ive hunted and killed was 6.5 and had already shed his antlers. our mld permits allow us to hunt till the end of feb. i wish i would have had his antlers. ive never aged my does because we shoot so many to manage our ranches. as long as they are mature enough to reproduce we shoot them.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

3.5yo.....184"
2.5yo.....155"
2.5yo.....151"
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't officially know, he only had half a rack. He had no teeth at all, and weighed 300 pounds.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first buck was 5.5 years young...
Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

a buddy of mine got a buck last year that the state aged for him because it was opening day and they take states then . they said it was about 12 years old. the teeth where so worn they said he did it a favor as it wouldn't have made it through the winter
Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

7.5 years old. 8 pointer with one tine busted off. dressed out at 181lbs. Back in 2005. I think this was the second year we started pulling the jaws and aging.
Attached Thumbnails  What's the oldest Deer you have Shot?-05-bow-buck.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the articles I have read in QDMA and other magazines, unless you have a tooth cross sectioned you can't get an accurate age on a deer. The wear on the teeth method has a lot of variables in it that give false ageing.

Quick Reply: What's the oldest Deer you have Shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.