Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

No Stand

Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 PM

Default No Stand

Anyone here not use a tree stand while hunting? I use a friends land and unfortunately its 8 hours away and I don't have time to scout or setup stands, so I usually sit my a$$ on the ground. Any tips for those like me that don't use stands...I have to remember to bring a seat cushion as tree roots start to hurt the butt after a while.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Default RE: No Stand

Well, I use a tree stand the majority of the time but occassionally I will get tired of sitting and get down and walk. I like to work the perimeter of my hunting ground which has a huge corn field in the middle so when I jump something up there is a good tendency for them to end up in the corn field later on when I come back around. That is how I shot a decent 8 two years ago, jumped him up but kept walking the perimeter and then came around on the other side of the field and jumped him again right out into the middle of the field.

I typically don't sit on the ground unless I am overlooking an open piece of land or across a valley or something. Where are you hunting?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Spike

i like to use a small stool, you can find at most hunting stores, just to have a little hight and can get better shots.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM

I hunt thick woods with no real fields infortunately. I've been trying to scout via aerials and topos but the woods are so damn thick. I think I might try to find a ridge along a swamp line as thats a popular bedding place I hear..
Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Get a climber.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

Get a climber.
X2
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Spike

You can get you a Doghouse ground blind for about $80.00 and it only takes about five minuts to set up.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:46 PM

I've killed plenty from the ground, sitting with my back against a tree. But bowhunting, I use a climber
Old 10-24-2008, 01:49 PM

I should mention that I will not be using a bow, but a firearm. I've never used a ground blind and I'm not sure their is much room to setup and I think they might be spooked by them.

Climber? I'll have to look into one...how much do they charge per hour...only kidding.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your gun hunting? I wouldn't worry. Michigan didn't allow gun hunting from an elevated spot until a few years back. I hunted off the ground for years and still do half the time with a rifle. Id say get a fold up chair or should I saya darker collapsable chair (the ones that fold up into a bag) and just make a brush pile and sit behind it. As long as your pattern is broken up, I think you will be fine. I know many people (including myself) who have just sat down on the ground or a stump and killed a deer. You put yourself behind some brush and get a stick as a gun rest and you are ready to go. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: No Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.