Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any old school deerhunters?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Any old school deerhunters?

Raise your hands fellas if you are old school. Anyone hunt with a levergun? Better yet, an iron sighted levergun? Anyone hunt in an old flannel instead of a 300.00 camo suit? Anyone cook outdoors at camp on a Coleman stove, or even better an open fire?

This is not a knock on ANYONES style of hunting- just an innocent inquiry
Old 10-22-2008, 10:15 AM

Default RE: Any old school deerhunters?

My grandfather is 78 years old and he hunts with either a winchester 30-30 or 12 gauge shotgun, wears a flannel jacket and blue jeans. He doesnt put up extravagant stands with huge food plots and corn. He walks the woods until he finds a scrape then will build his own blind out of leaves and sticks. U can laugh but he has killed monster bucks doing that.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

I use a savage model 99 lever gun. It would be old school if it didn't have a scope and wasn't a .308. I don't care for the high dollar hunting clothes and like the old flannel or Carhartt. Wish I could find my old down hat!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if you call it old school or not. I usually hunt in a Carhart coat, blue jeans, and old Lacrosse boots. Then top it off with the required blaze orange. We used to tent it out and cook over the fire or Coleman stove. Never used to use stands, just cleared a area around the tree of leaves down to the good smelling dirt and sat down. Never could use a lever action in Illinois being a no centerfire state but used my old 870. I guess I moved to the "new school" times now. Still wear the same cloths but I stay in a garage with a wood stove, TV, microwave, fridge, all the goodies. Have access to a shower in the house. We still cook on a grill though. I've learned to prefer my inline 50 cal muzzleloader over my shotgun, but the shotgun always makes the trip as a backup.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt the ORIGINAL old school- with hounds- In a sweatshirt and jeans, with a shotgun and buckshot. No lever gun here though,semi-auto rifle.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt both ways. It depends where I am hunting. At hunting camp we wear plaid wool and use lever guns and pump rifles. Some use scopes and some use open sights. Until the leaves drop you cant shoot very far (40 yards). Our camp is 20x24 with a cook stove, propane lights and a wood stove. We over look an adirondack pond and love every minuit of it. We will be headed there in a week and a half for a nine day hunt. I cant wait.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM

I've been able to do both, depending on where I'm hunting. In Missouri I use a tree stand and wear camo but I do use a Marlin 30-30 lever action that was my grandfathers but got passed down to me by my father. In Colorado, we set up camp about 8,000 feet up with no amenities other than your tent, sleeping bag, propane stove, and coolers of venison and beer. Don't have to wear camo up there usually and no tree stands. I actually hunted with my 30-30 which most people found odd because of the distances you have to shoot. Worked for me though!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well...I hunt with a .54 caliber flintlock...I figure that's pretty old school...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not but my granddad is...went huntin with him before, he does not hunt out of a tree stand walks around the woods till he finds a spot that looks good and sits on a nearby tree or stump. does not believe in scent control or camo...says its all a bunch of gimmics....takes his trusty iron sight 30-30 with him. if he shootsa deer well i just know how to describe how he guts and skins it...oh by the way he also shoots all of his deer in the head...doesnt want to waste the meat.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

I know plenty of Ole Timers who hunt in the old wool jackets and pants, they kick the leaves up by a big tree or sit on a stump drinking coffee and smoking a cigar or cigarette. I have also seen them drag some monsters out of the woods too. I have fond memories of being at Deer camp with the ole timers watching them play poker, drinking beer, cussing, farting and having fun like many at camp do today. Who knows? I used to kill turkeys when I was a kid by calling them by mouth wearing jeans and a flannel shirt, no head net and gloves. Scentlok? My scentlok is standing in the dairy barn for 15 minutes to get the farm smell on me. I have had more deer walk so close I could knock em over the head with the barrel. Most of the ole timers would laugh at the fact of using scentlok. I still have my hand me down Marlin 30AS that has killed quite a few Deer. I have shot nice bucks but I am no horn hunter either. One of the memories that I have from one of the ole timers is a quote that I'm sure you have all heard " You can boil them horns all you want but it will never make any soup". I am a meat hunter and nothing more. So to answer your question...I'm not old school all to much but I will always remember what they taught me....Respect the game, the land and your fellow hunter and have fun at camp because it only comes once a year.

Quick Reply: Any old school deerhunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.