Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Remington Model 770

Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Remington Model 770

I'm looking at buying the new Remington Model 770 in a 300. I hunt in pretty dense timber in Missouri but will also be hunting in Eastern Kansas with more open land this year. I love my 30-30 in Missouri because of the power it provides in the thick brush but it does not have the range I need for some other hunts.

1st Question: Is the affordable Model 770 from Remington a good buy for the money? ($379 at BassPro)

2nd Question: Will I be happy with the .300 for both hunting environments? (dense timber, open land)
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Remington Model 770

Put the gun down and RUN away! Spend a couple extra dollarsand get a firearm that will last. These guns are cheaply made and imho you shouldnt buy it. I would rather have one Marlins new XL-7's, they retail for under $300.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question #1 - No the gunis crap. Don't touch it you don't want any of it on you. Look at a Savage, Weatherby Vangaurd, Tikka,Stevens, or Mossberg before you look at that thing again.

Question #2 - The 300 will be great for dense brush and open area but not needed. A 270 or 30-06 wil be just as good in brush and just as flat in the open without the magnum recoil and it is a lot more recoil.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Spike

I bought the previous model called the 710. I liked it so much I bought another for my girlfriend. They are cheap because of the way the stock is manufactured, not because of the mechanical parts. This is a gun you wont mind beating the crap out of when your in the field, leave the wood stock for the gun case
Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 PM

Stay away from that gun... In my opinion the model 700 is a MUCH better gun. Go to a store and hold both then check out the action on both you'll see why everyone is saying to stay away from the 770.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 770 = -1.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM

My father bought one for my Brother, and like you guys I thought it was crap....but after shooting it, on a few occasions I have changed my mind.

no it is not build with the same exacting standards as a Model 700, or equivalent gun. The action is sloppy, and loose when opening and closing, but I think with normal wear and use it will become smoother. The trigger has quite abit of creep, and is not as good as the Trigger in my 700. But, the accuracy for this gun, is actually Quite good. I was very very surprised when I sited in this gun, and when I shot it again this year. The Bushnell 3x9 scope on it, is nice and clear, and I was easilly grouping in about a 2" diameter.

If you are on a budget, I would not tell you to run from this gun, it is a decent rifle, and shoots pretty damn well. If you decided to pick one up, you may be able to have the trigger replaced for something that is a lot better, and I am sure that would help to reduce the groups even more. But there is not much that can be done about the action.

If you can find a deal on a decent used Model 700 with a good scope for 500$, you will be getting a better gun, but the 770/710 is not a horrible rifle, and for those telling you to run...have you actually shot one? I think you would be greatly surprised in the rifle.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Spike

I've got it's predecessor, the 710, and I personally enjoy the he!! out of it.

like the guy above me said, it does have a little play on the trigger, and the bolt needs to be broken in fairly well. But I've consistently got 1.5-2 " groupings out to 200-250 yrds. which is as far as I need to shoot. I don't need to worry about scratching up a nice stock either.

Not everyone can afford anything more than this, especially in todays economy, (including me).
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM

Dont waste your time or money with a model 770, go with a model 700 sps with stainless steel barrel and 3x9x50 Leupold scope.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it. Somebody mentioned the new Marlin centerfire rifle, anyone tell me more about those? I own a Marlin 30-30 and love it, but I've always thought of them as a lever-action gun manufacturer so this is new to me.

Quick Reply: Remington Model 770

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.