Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pre Rut this weekend?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pre Rut this weekend?

Was out hunting all weekend this past weekend and just wanted to let you know what I observed and get some opinions. I am hunting a couple pieces of private land in SE Kansas. I hunted all day Friday (or most of it). I figured with the full moon on Thursday night that I would get sleep in and get into my stand by about 8:30. Well that was fine but the deer were everywhere when I got there so I snuck in and got set up. I saw countless does and a nice young 2 year old. He had a broken main beam on his right side. I saw him about 50 yards to my left and I grunted at him to see what he would do. He came right in and checked a fresh scrape to my left at about 15 yards. He didn't get in the scrape but he smelled it and looked in it for some time. He walked off and I grunted at him one more time and he came right to me. He started thrashing every 1 inch tree he could find and really put on a show for about 15 minutes or so. Funny thing is that he then went back over to that scrape and worked it over real good this time. I let him go on his way after that.

On Saturday evening my girlfriend and I were climbed way up in a couple trees. Right at dark we saw a real nice 3 year old (approx) 9 pointer and he was just cruising the edge. I grunted at him thinking he would come over but all he did was stop and look and continued on his way. I have seen many new rubs and scrapes on our place and was wondering from some of you if you are thinking the pre rut may in a little more swing this weekend or no?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pre Rut this weekend?

No not yet. They are just starting to mark their territories, give em about 2 weeks.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 AM

I agree... about two weeks out still. I'll be again this weekend and hopefully the big boys will be checking the girls out. Got a small cool front moving on Thursday so hopefully that will turn them on a bit.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bucks are definitely getting more active right now. I also believe in that short little rut thatsometimes goes on right around now. I know of a person here in Wisconsinthat was taking part ina herd control hunt two days ago and seen a Big Buck bird dogging a doe out in the middle of a field that was off a county rd..Granted it was just before dark, but you don't see that too oftenthis time of year. Big bucks around here this time of year don'tgenerally do that unless they have females on there minds.
All I can say is now that I have my doe tags filled, I will be crackingopen the estrous scents and dragging scent lines until the end of deer season. What is there to lose?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

By this weekend, the early pre rut should definitely be on. In 2 weeks, there should be some serious seeking and chasing going on.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's still a little early for the pre rut. I'm seeing very little buck activity where I hunt. I'm starting to see young bucks, but nothing 2 1/2 or older. I saw five different bucks Sat. morning, but all were 1 1/2 yr. old spikes and 4 pointers. Usually about the first of November is when things start heating up. As already stated, it's probably more of a territorial issue right now. With this cooler weather we are having, it finally feels like hunting season. It won't be long til the bucks become active. My rifle season opens this weekend. With lows in the lower 40's expected and no longer a full moon, I expect to see more activity this weekend.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I’ve always understood the pre-rut to be the time between the velvet being shed and the does coming into estrous. The amount of sparring, scraping rubbing, chasing etc. can be greatly varied during this time period with greater frequency the closer to the rut you get.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM

I just checked the Whitetail Rut Dates chart on T.R. Michels website at: http://www.trmichels.com/RutDates.htm

If by "pre-rut" you mean what scientists refer to as the time when bucks start removing velvet, the time is well past, even in the northern states, when the rut may be little later than in Kansas.

If you mean, the peak scraping phase, that phase may have started in most northern and mid-latitude states (hwich is obvirous by the scrapes in your area), which includes Kansas.

Peak breeding in your area should be about mid-November. But, now is when the bucks are predictable, so hunt them ...
Old 10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

As of last weekend didn,t see anything that would indicate the rut is close yet. A couple scrapes and a few more rubs than theweekendbefore.As long as I am seeing does from our stands, the buckswill show some time...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

I am heading to a piece of property next Tues-Wed that is full of big bucks, I was just curious if you thought it would be too early to use estrous doe scents and rattling or should i use these tactics.

Quick Reply: Pre Rut this weekend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.