Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are the deer high or low?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Spike

Default Are the deer high or low?

Hi,
Here in WV you have decent size mountains and along the sides of the mountains are benches that go along the mountain from top to the bottom. From the ridgeline all the way down to the valley are trails along these benches. I heard from a guy one time that you can tell whether the deer will be high or low by looking at the cows ona mountain........If the cows are low then the deer will be low, if there in the middle or on the ridge then the deer will follow suite. He said the pressure determines where they will be. Is there any truth to this? If not, is there a good way to guess where on the mountain a deer is most likely to travel on a certain day?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are the deer high or low?

I usually find they come down to eat at night and go back up for safety and bed during the day. But you will find them all over depending on the cover. Hope this helps some.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

We have similar terrain here, though not as steep as yours. The deer tend to bed on the ridge tops during the day,this gives them plenty of time to run if they hear something coming up the side of the ridge. Pressure has less to do with it than safety. Stake out the trails on those benches, as well as any saddles between ridge tops.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I have a farm that i hunt in VA, and i have also hunted the National Forest in VA, both have MTNS on them, just like WVA(same mtns). When the season heats up and people are shooting in the bottoms the tops of the mtns and those benches will fill up with deer. The advantage is that if your not already up there on top by early morning, those deer are going to see and hear you coming long before you see them. They move all day up there too as long as there is no easy access by hunters. the trick on top is to get there early, pack a lunch and bring a light to get in and out, cause you can hang out up there all day and see deer, while your buddies down below see nothing. Its not easy, but i make the 2 hour walk up a mtn all the time and hunt all day, with a lot of success, while other guys i hunt with hunt the fields down low and dont see much cause the deer are feeling the pressure of the season and are hiding on top.