Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wind speed and effect on deer movement >

Wind speed and effect on deer movement

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wind speed and effect on deer movement

Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wind speed and effect on deer movement

I read about thislast year,but I can't seem to recallwhere. At what wind speeddo deer generally reduce or stop their movement? I seem to recall at 0-10 MPH no change; 10-15 MPH off moderatly; 15+ MPH only if necessary. Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: Wind speed and effect on deer movement

There's no doubt that excessive wind will keep deer down. I would say your numbers are pretty good. I was just thinking about the same thing this morning. I'm guilty of staying home on a day winds are 20mph, but deer still have to eat and drink even on windy days. If all I have to do is sit around, I head out to the woods most of the time anyway.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM

I play the wind and stalk hunt. Not all the time but sometimes the more unconventional you are the better.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vadeer

I read about thislast year,but I can't seem to recallwhere. At what wind speeddo deer generally reduce or stop their movement? I seem to recall at 0-10 MPH no change; 10-15 MPH off moderatly; 15+ MPH only if necessary. Thoughts?
Just my 2 cents, but based on my hunting experience those numbers do not make sense to me. So, at 16 mph, the deer would only be moving only if necessary? I don't believe that.

I have seen/shot deer with winds well over 20 mph and these deer were not being pushed nor were they aware they were being hunted. If the weather is nasty or stormy with high winds, that may be a factor in keeping deer movement to a minimum but not on clear, crisp, windy or breezyNov days.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 PM

Below is a link from one individuals observations on deer sightings/movement during different wind speeds. Per the author, he has recorded environmental data from 400+ hunts to base his findings from.

http://www.imbmonsterbucks.com/info.php?id=72

Hope this will help.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:05 AM

T.R. Michels and Jon Stone have both done studies on deer acticvity and wind speed. You can see both ther graphs on T.R Michels website at http://www.trmichels.com/DeerActivityCharts.htm, its ahbout half way down the page.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe true that wind slows deer movement down, but I beleive thebig boys aremore likely to be in the open during windy days. Nothing scientific to back it up, but my only two big bucks were killed in open fields on 15-25 mph days. I have noticed a large decrease in the total number of deer seen, just not bigger deer. Maybe just chance, but I'm heading to a field on a windy day.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks,thesesites will help.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know how it effects deer movement, But I love to still hunt in a 10-15mph wind, moving ONLY when the wind blows, rusttling trees/leaves. It's incredible how quietly you can move, even when the forrrest floor is like cornflakes!

My speed when still hunting is about 100-150 yds. an hour. Gets tedious at times, but when you " move on the wind ", you slip along as a ghost.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

You also have to remember that based on hunter success rates with that one study....you'd be less likely to hear a deer approaching from behind or from the side with all the noise from the wind, leaves, tress creaking, etc. thus taking the hunter'sodds downward from the get-go. Do they lessen their movements and are they more cautious? I'm almost sure of that.

I'd bet that the wind plays a factor to a degree in certain locations and times of day, but I also have taken several deer during bow and gun seasons where the wind was at least 15 to 20 mph or more. Interesting study anyway..

Quick Reply: Wind speed and effect on deer movement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.