Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you have a Thermacell and does it work? >

Do you have a Thermacell and does it work?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you have a Thermacell and does it work?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you have a Thermacell and does it work?

I have the it doesn't work vote. I talked to a couple of guys at the sporting goods store where I bought mine from just yesterday and low and behold there was a guy in the store returning his. He had the same experience as me. I told him about the earth scented pads and he didn't care. I got mine back from my buddy yesterday. I got some earth scented pads coming from Cabelas in the next day or two so I hope this remedies the situation but the so far the thermacell has to be one of the most overhyped things I have seen yet. My scentlok clothes work better then this thermacell has so far.

Let me add this too. My girlfriend and I grilled out last night and the skeeters were bad so I fired it up and set it on the table outside and the skeeters never went anywhere. I moved it and set it under my chair and they landed right on me and never even paid that thing no mind.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thermacell is a must have if you want to repel skeeters or black flies without spooking game. Just last night, I had 5 does about 35- 40 yards down wind of me happily munching on acorns. It was a warm evening and I had no mosquitoes bothering me.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was hoping I could get the one person who has posted that their Thermacell doesn't work to post in this thread. With his "no it doesn't work and it scares the animals away" vote it is now 97.5% of those who have used one that say that it works compared to the 1 who says that it doesn't work. It seems to be a pretty convincing majority of folks who say that it works.

I'm wondering if his truly doesn't work somehow or if he has a defective unit or is operating it wrong or what. Mine works even better than spraying myself down with deep woods off. With deep woods off the mosquitos still buzz around and sometimes even land on you and are still a general nusiance, they just generally don't bite. With the thermacell they clear out.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Spike

I have been using one. Killed a doe about two weeks ago on stand while using the THERMOCELL. Deer were never alerted to it. Sure works in keeping the mosquitos off.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Betterbirddogs, Does your element heat up on your unit? Get very warm to the touch? Are you using a fresh pad that still is nice a blue? Maybe your ignition system isn't working and heating the element up correctly or something.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Betterbirddogs, Have you tried lighting it?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

NP the place I bought it from won't take it back so I can't try another one without buying another one. I think that maybe the unit is defective because everyone elses seems to work great and mine isn't worth a nickel. I think they probably do work as advertised but mine sure doesn't. It heats up and get warms to the touch. The little light deal glows on the top of it to let you know its on. My pads were new in the package. I'm gonna try to earth scent pads and see if they are better. My pads may not be worth a nickel.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Spike

I think it's the best thing since a pocket on a shirt! Someone earlier mentioned about the mosquitos buzzing your ears and that' s what I hate the most. Thermocell keeps everything 10-15 feet away. No buzzing at all. It generally takes about 90 seconds after lighting it to repel the bugs for me. I absolutely love it. I just can't find any refill pads. All the WalMart and Academy's around here are totally out.

I had 4 deer within 40 yards of my stand and they never knew I was there. They ate acorns for about 20 minutes and never looked my way.

PS Did I mention I love my Thermocell?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I dont hunt without one it is a must in South Ga. the skeeters are terrible, for the ones who say they dont work you must have gotten a lemon I have bought 3 one for myself my dad and little brother and they work great. I beleive I could hunt in my stand in my underwear it does such a fine job!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Spike

as the misquitoes fly, so will the thermacell crank
no problemswith spooking game.

Quick Reply: Do you have a Thermacell and does it work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.