Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What size bucks do you shoot and why? >

What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Default RE: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

It used to be I wouldn't shoot a buck unless he was over 120inches. Now its over 140 since I killed my 150 class last year. Let the little ones grow!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Spike

Bob,

i guess when i first started hunting, i wanted a buck so bad that i passed on does and fawns and ended up getting skunked for a couple seasons. looking back, i should have taken a doe or fawn butobviously,i was young and stupid. Luckily, the past 3 years i've been able to take decent bucksearly in the seasonso i havn't been faced with the decision of shooting a fawn.

i suppose if i was faced with the decision now, i would take a fawn if it came down to it, but not until the end of season. that makes sense that they would be the best eating but i've never eaten one. maybe it's something i ought to try. thanks for pointing that out.

oh yeah, i hunt in western montana and there's definately no shortage of deer.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Any deer with 4 on a side. (PA RULES) But the restrictions are working!!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:54 PM

any buck that I want to take, that I can safely estimate at 4.5 years old or older. I shoot my deer by age class, I do not consider a 1.5 or 2.5 yo a trophy no matter what the rack size. If I feel like shooting, I spend enough time in the timber each season, so I will take does out. Everyone has to start somewhere, but when guys start realizing that basket eights or sixes at 2.5 yo are not trophy deer, and set their sites a little higher, we all will benefit. A mature doe, is far more a trophy to me, than a 120" buck with any amount of points and immature. Its hard to do, but by filming my hunts, I shoot some video of them instead of shooting an arrow. Watching it over and over is more enjoyable for me. Just my .02

Jason
Old 10-12-2008, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

150's and above with a gun 130's and above with a bow.
My therory... you can't kill the biggun's if you smack'n the little ones.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

If it looks good, boom! I'm happy.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:13 PM

I never have shot a buck before, so for me, anything with bone on its head walking by!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I said 130 and up because we have a 15 by 12 inch rule and I am tring to not even be close to that. I have a 140 inch 8 point and a 143 inch 9 pointer but it has been a few years. I am really just hoping for my son's first buck.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: MTairman

Bob,

i guess when i first started hunting, i wanted a buck so bad that i passed on does and fawns and ended up getting skunked for a couple seasons. looking back, i should have taken a doe or fawn butobviously,i was young and stupid. Luckily, the past 3 years i've been able to take decent bucksearly in the seasonso i havn't been faced with the decision of shooting a fawn.

i suppose if i was faced with the decision now, i would take a fawn if it came down to it, but not until the end of season. that makes sense that they would be the best eating but i've never eaten one. maybe it's something i ought to try. thanks for pointing that out.

oh yeah, i hunt in western montana and there's definately no shortage of deer.
If you can buy a extra antlerless tags for the gun season up there than shoot a fawn. They are the best eating deer out there. I just pulled some loins out of the freezer last weekend that were from a fawn. My buddies and i ate them side by side with some some buck and full sized doe loins and it was a big difference in taste and texture. The fawn loins had a very noticeable sweeter taste and you could almost cut them with a fork. But we also have large antlerless tag quotas in the southern Iowa counties where i hunt so I have no qualms about shooting fawns and yearlings. But i am mostly a meat hunter. So if it's a slick-head and it's in range it had better start worrying. I do pass on small bucks though. I just don't see the need to shoot a little buck although i have in the past.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

due to hunting public land (which is alot harder to hunt), i will generally shoot any legal buck that walks by. in Florida we are allowed to kill 2 bucks a day, every day. so we generally don't have to "hold back" for a big buck like states that limit you to 1 or 2 bucks a year.

Quick Reply: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.