HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What size bucks do you shoot and why?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
IowaBoy01
Spike

Default RE: What size bucks do you shoot and why?

ORIGINAL: MTairman

Bob,

i guess when i first started hunting, i wanted a buck so bad that i passed on does and fawns and ended up getting skunked for a couple seasons. looking back, i should have taken a doe or fawn butobviously,i was young and stupid. Luckily, the past 3 years i've been able to take decent bucksearly in the seasonso i havn't been faced with the decision of shooting a fawn.

i suppose if i was faced with the decision now, i would take a fawn if it came down to it, but not until the end of season. that makes sense that they would be the best eating but i've never eaten one. maybe it's something i ought to try. thanks for pointing that out.

oh yeah, i hunt in western montana and there's definately no shortage of deer.
If you can buy a extra antlerless tags for the gun season up there than shoot a fawn. They are the best eating deer out there. I just pulled some loins out of the freezer last weekend that were from a fawn. My buddies and i ate them side by side with some some buck and full sized doe loins and it was a big difference in taste and texture. The fawn loins had a very noticeable sweeter taste and you could almost cut them with a fork. But we also have large antlerless tag quotas in the southern Iowa counties where i hunt so I have no qualms about shooting fawns and yearlings. But i am mostly a meat hunter. So if it's a slick-head and it's in range it had better start worrying. I do pass on small bucks though. I just don't see the need to shoot a little buck although i have in the past.