Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best time of day to hunt??

Old 10-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best time of day to hunt??

So with early season muzzleloader beginning this weekend here in Iowa, I was wanting to ask you guys what time of day you like hunting best? I read an article abouut a guy who said if he could hunt any four hours of the day it'd be from 10-2. He said that's when all other hunters pack up and head in and the big bucks move. What's your guys' opinions???

PS - Early season muzzleloader here falls during the Pre-Rut.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best time of day to hunt??

i've always seen more deer from 0700 hrs to 1100 hrs. it get's so hot here (90 to 110 degrees) that the deer move when it's cooler (70 to 80 degrees). however, deer move when they are pressured, hungry or looking for booty...so unless you're in the stand, you're not going to see them.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Different regions call for different "times to hunt". If I was in your situation, I would try to hunt as long I could. But thats just me. If I had to pick a certain "4 hours to hunt", it would be the first 4 hours of day light or the last 4 hours of day light.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

First thing in the morning and late in the day is when they usually move the most. During the rut it is all day every day. Got to be there to get them.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

First thing in the morning and late in the day is when they usually move the most. During the rut it is all day every day. Got to be there to get them.

Thats exactly right where I hunt in Southern Illinois. I've either harvested my deer in the morning before 9am or after 2pm. But I have been in the stand late morning to just after lunch and have seen deer.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I sit in the stand as long as I can, which sometimes is all day. Those are my favorite days. The times I see the most deer though is between 8-10 AM and 2-4 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i've always seen more deer from 0700 hrs to 1100 hrs. it get's so hot here (90 to 110 degrees) that the deer move when it's cooler (70 to 80 degrees). however, deer move when they are pressured, hungry or looking for booty...so unless you're in the stand, you're not going to see them.
Agree
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Spike

as much as i like hunting mornings i have killed more deer in the evenings..but if i was in your place i would get in the stand and stay there then you would know exactly when deer are moving on the days to come
Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

I have thought about this before, and I am starting to think I should sleep in and goe to my stand around 9:00 am and staying till about 4:00 pm. This is durring the rut though, I have seen more big bucks around mid-day than any other time.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

one of our feeders goes off at 7 am 11 am and 6.30 pm. The game camera show most activity at the 11 am feeding.
I hear a lot of people kill the biggest bucks at mid day, who knows I havent really tried it. I am stuck trying the morning and evening hunts, old habits are hard to break.

Quick Reply: Best time of day to hunt??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.