Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it really?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it really?

I've had something in my craw for a few weeks now. Ever since we had the last thread about shooting dogs that chase your deer. Many people stated that shooting a stray dog was animal cruelty but if they believe that I think they are hypocrites. WHy?

Becasue they believe that shooting a 45 lb. dog with a 30-06 is animal cruelty and wrong but they areout there shooting 150 lb. deer whit the same load and calling it sportsmanship. No the dog didn't know the property line but niether did the deer.

Neighbor's pet that got loose is one thing I've let them pass but some stray is a different story.

What do you think?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is it really?

Strays and wild dogs get lead. Neighbors pets will always get a pass. Strays and rabid dogs bring along more problems than just spooking the deer herd.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Becasue they believe that shooting a 45 lb. dog with a 30-06 is animal cruelty and wrong but they areout there shooting 150 lb. deer whit the same load and calling it sportsmanship. No the dog didn't know the property line but niether did the deer.

I think this isn't the best defensive response. Deer are shot for food. Dogs are not.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: jim1966

I think this isn't the best defensive response. Deer are shot for food. Dogs are not.
Depends on what country you are from , or if you eat at many chineese food restaurants ...LOL ... Never see any strays around those type eating joints , do ya??

MET

Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM

That's b/c dogs are domesticated and many consider them part of the family. To many people it would be like killing their family member. The dog should not be killed b/c its a stray or its on your property, if its attacking you then ok or if its rabid ok. It's a strange situation but thats what makes us human and not neanderthals.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jim1966

You don't eat coyote do you? But on the "What trumps a deer when hunting?" thread 90% said a coyote.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Coyote are also considered a "varmint" and most areas are open year round to hunting...now contact your game warden and see if Domesticated Dog is on the list... [&:]
Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

^^ he is right. You hunt groundhogs? Most people do not eat them, a few have but most don't. You shoot a groundhog because they are pests, and because long range groundhog hunting is fun. To me an animal is an animal. I have raised six baby racoons after I found the mother hit on the road. They were great pets, yet I still shoot racoons when they are getting into the corn or the garbage. We have tons of problems with packs of stray dogs. SO I shoot them as well. Does that make me less of a person? Maybe, but its no different then shooting a coon or whistle pig.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

strays are uthenised (sp) by the thousands every day, save the tax payers money and kill it yourself.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

most strays have been dumped out by a$$holes that don't want to care for them properly, so they put them out for somebody else to deal with. in reality, most of these dogs don't know how to fend for themselves in the wild and end up starving to death. when you see a stray, of course you can't safely pick it up and take it home because you never know if they're rabid or prone to attack you. so you tell me whats more cruel; a quick bullet or allowing the animal to suffer through starvation or some other long painful death?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.