Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck and Doe Scent. Really?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Spike

Default Buck and Doe Scent. Really?

Guys and gals,

I have been hunting for a brief 20 years now. I have been lucky enough to harvest 3 nice bucks. The 3 bucks were following the real deal doe in heat. I have used several different scent lures over the years without any success.I mean, I have never even had a buck approachanyof the scents I have put out.Not one. I knowhow to put them out andavoid humancontamination. I guess I am just looking for a new product or fresh ideas to see if I can add this to my arsenal.Likemost Hunters I am open to anything that can help. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to readingyour replys.

Thanks TAMBO.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Buck and Doe Scent. Really?

Last December I sat behind a small cedar tree on a stool, bow at the ready, waiting to intercept deer moving across my property on their way to a cedar covered bedding area on the neighboring property. I was wearing ASAT camo and sprayed with Deer Dander. Suddenly, I heard foot steps followed by a sniffing sound directly behind me, and as I turned my head to look a young buck bolted back into the cedars over 30 yards away. The wind was blowing toward him at the time, so I have little doubt that it was the Deer Dander that got his attention. He wasn't on alert, and apparently didn't think I was anything threatening until I moved.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

buckbomb is the one thing i use... it works great.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know about the scents, I don't think they arethat effective except under the right circumstances, but 3 deer in 20 years? You are a very patient hunter.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got some scrape juice by muzzy and I am very pleased with it. I used it for the first time a couple days ago and its got me impressed.

I sprayed a puff every 5 steps as I was walking into my stand, and then 2 additional sprays when i was at the top and watched the wind carry it.

5 minutes into my hunt I had a deer some exactly where i walked, sniffed right where i sprayed, and followed the trail that the scent went when the wind carried it. The whole time he had his nose in the air and the ground trying to find where the scent was coming from.

It was just a button buck, but its still a deer. I like it because its an all season scent and brings in ALL deer.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Don't know about the scents, I don't think they arethat effective except under the right circumstances, but 3 deer in 20 years? You are a very patient hunter.
wow that's an ******* of a comment. what's it matter how many deer he's killed in 20 years
Old 10-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I think he just missed the fact that he said he's harvested 3 nice bucks in the last 20 years. That's not so extremely lowat all.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GVoverstreet7

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

wow that's an ******* of a comment. what's it matter how many deer he's killed in 20 years
I think that was a compliment.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the rut I have had good luck with dragging a scent line dipped with Tinks 69. I have also had good luck with James Valley scent in both forms of liquid and gel. During the rut, starting from usually the last week of October through November I usually drag a line to my stand,Place sent around my stand and try to sit the whole day if possible. As soon as I am settled into my stand and ready and it is light enough to see I will pull out the bleat can and tip it over about 3 consecutive times. Within ten minutes if the bucks have heard the bleats, and you can see a distance around your stand they will be there. The bleat can has worked for me several times since 2004.Opening dayof Rifle season 2005 Ibagged an 8pt. at first light after he came lookingfor the doethat smelled and sounded so perfectthat morning. He came from public land.ALL I CAN SAYIS THAT"GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS EVERYTIME IGO OUT" HAS PAIDOFF MORE TIMES THAN NOT. Enough said.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried some natural doe urine scent the other day, it's not an estrous scent so I figured it would be on par with what the does in my area were smelling like.

About an hour or so after getting into the stand, I heard a deer coming, and about the time I heard it she started blowing and ran off like a bolt. I waited a few minutes and hit the grunt call, and heard her coming back. Then she ran off blowing again. This time it sounded like she ran into the next county. Obviously, they don't like the scent I put out.

During the rut should be better for bringing in bucks, but I'm going to lay off the scent stuff for now.