Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do i hunt him

Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do i hunt him

ok guys the red dotsour were i have seen a big ole 8 pointerand the red stripe is a big trail they seem to use no place for a stand but i got a blind and i was wondereing if where i have it (blue dot)would be a good place in order to maybe nail this bruiser (sorry no pics)
sorry about the crude drawing sldo should i put out a little corn, apples or a mineral block by the blind to entice or would that be a bad idea

Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do i hunt him

Google Earth is free
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

Google Earth is free
Actually not a bad little drawing- sometimes drawing it out yourself works a lot better than a topo.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Based on your drawing, this is what I would do, I would set up my blind in between the harvested corn and bean fields in the little wood strip (if thats what the dark green line is between the two). This will give you a good chance to see him in either direction from a distance so he doesnt just "show up" on you and you are unprepared. you can set up on either side fo the trail depending on the wind. Not sure how far the barn is from the trail either, but if its within gun range, utilize that to help you stay covered as well. I would use a doe in estrous bleat to try and draw him closer to you when the rut is starting to get into full swing. Check your DNR regulations about mineral licks and things like that before you put one out. Good luck and be sure to post picks of the brusier once you get him.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

I kinda get the same idea as The Outdoorsmen, I would also check around the aera for a rub line or some good fresh scrapes. Depending on if your hunting with a gun or bow would make a big difference. If your bow hunting I would find a funnel along the trial and set up about 20 yard off that. I see that you have seen him more around the corn, Try to find a place where he seems to be comming into that area. But don't forget once the rut starts all patterns are null and void.. Have you seen where the does are hanging out the most? I belive to get a big Buck you gotta hunt the does.. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

well the barn is about 120 yards (we got a cuple horses in it)from that blue spot but i hunt with a shotgun maybe bow i dont got 1 yet but i didnt want to sit in that tree line with a gone because the area to the right of the picture (but not shown in it)is also a been feild but some idiot walks out there smoking and making a ruckus when he hunts during shotgun season also THE OUTDOORSMAN- that green line is pretty open come the late fall i can see the road easy from there so i dint want to shot a car or even the couple house BTW light green-grass, dark green-treelines
Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Yes but if you hunt the tree line between the corn and bean field, your shot should be going towards the bottom of the picture. as well, trying hunting in the tree line on the right side of the picture if the wind is favorable. The fields are big enough that if you set up in the woodline between both fields in your drawing, you should have plenty of shooting opportunities without you risking a shot at a car or house. as for the hunter that smokes and makes all the noise, thats good, he will just push the deer in your direction.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

i feel like you should also hunt where you can see both fields. as for apples ive always heard that food that isnt around a big smart deer may be alarmed but never seen proof of it. corn will work for the deer. if you dont get him this year consider food plots clover for all year and winter peas and turnips for fall just some stuf to think about good luck
Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok guys thanks for the tips ill keep ya posted
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with outdoorsman. I would set up in between the two harvested feilds. I would check regs in your area before putting out corn.

Quick Reply: How do i hunt him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.