HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What trumps a deer when hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/265052-what-trumps-deer-when-hunting.html)

Gangly 09-26-2008 06:33 AM

What trumps a deer when hunting?

I've always came across various animals when hunting, but nothing yet has peaked my interest enough to shoot at it and take a chance of scaring all the deer within a country mile.

When out hunting, what animal would immediately cause you to be willing to scare every deer in the forest if you had a chance at a good shot?

Me - Red Fox

jeremy3303 09-26-2008 11:11 AM

RE: What trumps a deer when hunting?

coyote

rynigner 09-26-2008 11:11 AM

I'll drop a coyote if given the chance!

Jimmy S 09-26-2008 11:12 AM

Nothing

TreednNC 09-26-2008 11:12 AM

bobcat...have seen them, but not before they saw me though lol

youngbuck 09-26-2008 12:02 PM

coyote

thndrchiken 09-26-2008 12:09 PM

Coyote, you can be damn sure if there is a yote in the area the deer will be nowhere around.

Mr October 09-26-2008 12:09 PM

I would love to take a coyote with the bow.

fastetti 09-26-2008 12:10 PM

Coyote.........or a sasquatch. Time to put the rumors to rest!!:D

whitetail_fanatic 09-26-2008 12:11 PM

coyote

MikeVT 09-26-2008 12:18 PM

Black Bear

popeye 09-26-2008 12:23 PM

bear, bobcat or coyote

Canuck33 09-26-2008 12:23 PM

Coyote for sure, bear would be fair game too

joliver 09-26-2008 12:32 PM

I'velaid the smack down oncoyotes, bobcats, and hogs with my bow while hunting deer. That's the great thing about using a bow. Why do you need a trump card when you can double-down. One evening I harvested a bobcat and then shot a doe 45 minutes later. I think you're better off getting rid of the predator (if it's legal). I'm with you though, I would definitely like an opportunity at a red fox or a mountain lion (they're rare, but legal out here).

kingofspring 09-26-2008 01:32 PM

In my experience, gunshots don't bother deer too much. Numerous times I've shot deer and stayed put only to have other deer come in minutes later.

dhunterinla 09-26-2008 03:48 PM

If it's between and 8 point and a coyote, well, there'll be one less coyote in the world. I hate those things. Always running around just outside the perimeter of the camp yowling and such...

drdi 09-26-2008 04:13 PM

coyote, hmmmmm, I sense a trend..... ;)

MALLARD76 09-26-2008 04:17 PM

Another vote for a coyote!

superstrutter 09-26-2008 04:52 PM

I will shoot a coyote or bobcat if given the chance. Gunshots don't usually scare deer, so I'll take the chance. If a hog came by, I wouldn't hesitate. I very rarely see hogs on my place. In fact I have only seen them once, so if one comes by when I have a gun in hand, it's in trouble. I see foxes quite often, but don't shoot.

BigTiny 09-26-2008 06:27 PM

Every coyote you kill in the fall is 10 turkeys to shoot in the spring. Other than that, I'll shoot a hog if I see one.

TimberCreek 09-26-2008 06:35 PM

Trespassers!;)

ChesapeakeHunter 09-26-2008 07:03 PM

Good question, I'm going to check if its legal but a bobcat would be awesome or a black bear.

Robert L E 09-26-2008 07:24 PM

Coyotes are a temptation that I've learned to resist. Bear, cougar, or hog on the other hand............ the odds are slim though here in Iowa. A cougar has been shot in the county I hunt though, and more sign has been found,a couple of bears shot a county or two away, and hogs are rumored two counties away.

The DNR denied cougars in Iowa until one was hit by a car and two were shot by hunters. Bears, cougars and hogs are not protected in Iowa because they are not wanted here. Wolves are protected, go figure. They are not wanted either.

Bob

ksfowler 09-26-2008 07:53 PM

Polar Bears. enough said.;)

backstrap fever 09-26-2008 09:47 PM

coyote, bear, bobcat thats about it for me

2Poppa 09-26-2008 10:42 PM

Nothing Trumps a Deer!

If it does, you ain't focused on deer huntin'!

Why consider anything else, when possibly a "State Record Buck" could be in the general vicinity?

Ican't understand anyones reasoning to shoot anything else ... but how many of the people that have answered have seen a Monster?

gregrn43 09-26-2008 11:34 PM

bobcat of course. I have saw several small ones that i have passed up, I'm looking for that big male to have mounted. One day i will find him lol

drdi 09-27-2008 05:41 AM

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

[align=center]Nothing Trumps a Deer!

If it does, you ain't focused on deer huntin'!

Why consider anything else, when possibly a "State Record Buck" could be in the general vicinity?

Ican't understand anyones reasoning to shoot anything else ... but how many of the people that have answered have seen a Monster?[/align]
What if shooting a trophy deer is not your goal? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a shot at a monster buck. It's just that at the end of the day, I don't really care if I see one or not. Different strokes.........

browning.204 09-27-2008 07:09 AM

Obama supporters!

Siman08/OH 09-27-2008 08:29 AM

Id take a coyote over a deer, but if boredome gets to me all critters better look out.

Champlain Islander 09-27-2008 10:08 AM

I agree with 2pappa 100%. There isn't anything in the deer woods that would make me take a shot other than a deer.

Bubba123 09-27-2008 10:47 AM

a good coyote is a dead coyote, getting rid of them is more important to me than a deer

crokit 09-27-2008 11:09 AM

werewolf

smokems 09-27-2008 11:40 AM

If I am bored, even a crow can get shot at. I have killed everything you can imagine while deer hunting (except a hog, but only because I havent ever seen one). Gunshots for the most part do not bother deer. How many times have you killed multiple deer because after you shoot the first one, the rest have no idea where you are (and if you have to clean one......)? Unless you are a good distance away, you really have no idea where that gunshot came from, so how is a deer any different?

yodeldog3 09-27-2008 03:40 PM

I think if your deer hunting, bow or gun, and you don't take a coyote that gives you a shot, your not doing your part for good management. Different strocks I spose.

countrymudder 09-27-2008 09:29 PM

squirells tend to get on my nerves when im deer hunting..crawlin around your stand and runnin about the woods makin you sometimes think a deer is runnin up on you..and they even give your position away sometimes i think..but i just take it out on em when i go squirell huntin..i shoot every one in site lol

*BuCkShOt* 09-28-2008 08:30 AM

coyote

trevorpt 09-28-2008 04:18 PM

coyote... i shot one this spring while turkey hunting:)

GTOHunter 09-28-2008 04:38 PM

Coyotes....they scare Deer away and will kill turkeys,I shoot one every chance I get.Now last year on opening day of Rifle Deer Season we hunted a new Lease and a Doe and small 4-Point Buck ran right past my stand,about 30 minutes later a Coyote was on the same path but I didn't shoot it because I didn't want to scare any potential Big Bucks away...wish I would have shoot it now and I had several guys get after me for not shooting the Yote but it was my choice on the subject.About 1 hour later a Bobcat and 2 Kittens strolled past my stand later on and I couldn't shoot the bigger Bobcat because they weren't in season til about3 days later! [&:]But a Bobcat will be my next choice to shoot and have mounted when they are in season because I would love to have one mounted and hanging on my wall. ;)

chazspot 09-28-2008 05:43 PM

I would shoot a yote if I saw one, but I have never seen one while hunting. Turkeys would be on my list. I don't mess with the squirrels. Too concerned with scaring deer away if I shot at them. Oh and shooting something else other than a deer with the chance of scaring a monster buck away?I hunt does mostly, so that reallynever crosses my mind. If a monster buck comes by then that's great, if not; no problem.