Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Milkweed

Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Milkweed

I was just out gathering up some milkweed seed pods for the upcoming season and had never thought to share the idea here, so here it is. For those of you who want to know what the wind is really doing and how it might be swirling around. I collect some milkweed seed pods along the road or a field edge and lay them out to make sure they are dry. Then I open the pods and put the seeds in a ziplock bag and put them in my hunting vest pocket till season. Then once up in the tree. I can pull a couple out and they are so light and drift through the air so well, thatI can watch them float on the breeze for a long long way and really gives you a good idea of how the air and thermals are flowing.
They are much cheaper than than all these commercial wind indicators and powder bottles and better then dental floss on stablizer. Just something to think about
Old 09-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Milkweed

Nice tip, yeah i was just thinking of that the other day. Why pay for something if you can use a natural product.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

yep, i've been using them for a while! beats paying for something in the store!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

yeah i would do that but my uncle would kill me when he had a bunch of milk weeds growing in his fields. so i think i will have to stick to using small pieces of lint. that seems to work for me
Old 09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

I use Milkweed also.

I put them in a Film Canister for a 35mm camera. I may try to put a slit in the lid to pull them through.

Also, as I take them from the Milkweed pod, I take the seeds off.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Cool idea and thanks. i'll try that one.