Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will a .243 "drop" a deer quickly?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Will a .243 "drop" a deer quickly?

i know firsthand it will, dropped more than i can count in their tracks with a .243, but as others said shot placement is the number one factor. a lot of ppl have the misconception that a large caliber will make up for a bad shot, but it won't. just my two cents
Old 09-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

yep. My little cousin shot her first doe with it, it went about thirty five feet. It was not the best shot, but it worked great.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it wouldn't then I wouldn't have been shootingit since 1980...I would have change years ago...

It will drop them just as quick as any cartridge out there...
Old 09-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Spike

I beg to differ about the larger caliber not making up for poor shot placement. I hunt with a 243wssm, but my brother hunts with a rem. 300 ultra mag. I believe that he could shoot one in the hoof and it would drop in its tracks, the cartriges look like missles.lol
Old 09-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, honestly, what do you think? Of course it will drop a deer, a .22 will drop a deer, you just have to hit it in the right spot.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: bcward

I beg to differ about the larger caliber not making up for poor shot placement. I hunt with a 243wssm, but my brother hunts with a rem. 300 ultra mag. I believe that he could shoot one in the hoof and it would drop in its tracks, the cartriges look like missles.lol

two seasons ago my buddy popped a doe with his 300 ultra, the entrance hole was tiny but the exit hole looked like a waterbuffalo had just trampled through it... the doe ran around in circles for about 15 second before falling over...

while this was going on i managed to pop another larger doe, and a buck... both dropped in their tracks... with, my .243

i've killed many a colorado mulie with it, and have made a few 350+ yd shots with it with no problems...

i contemplated buying a .308 to replace it but WHY, when it works oh so well
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

While I'll stick to my .30-06...the .243 is plenty for whitetails...even here in WI.

"Dropping" a deer has alot to do with theplacement of the shot and a bit from the shockof the load you're firing. Worry more about shot placement and less about dropping the animal in it's tracks. While little or no tracking is always nice....it's part of hunting, and will make you a better hunter overall. If it was all about laying an animal down...we'd all be sporting .416 Rigbys.

Good day and good luck.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:19 PM

Bullet selection is fairly important. A good 100 grain softpoint, like the Sierra Pro Hunter or the Hornady Spire Point, is best. I have had poor results with Barnes X and Nosler Partitions. The 85 Sierra HPBT Gameking, as well as the 87 gr. Hornay Spire Point, are also good bullets if you like a little lighter pill. Try for a broadside lung shot and stay away from the shoulders.

I have killed six elk with a 6MM. Pretty marginal, IMO, but do-able with good shot placement and a good controlled expansion bullet. For deer, it is solid and reliable for the disciplined hunter.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two good friends that only hunt with the .243. Neither of them have ever had a problem dropping deer. One still uses open sights!

I've never hunted with a .243, but I doubt a guy would ever be undergunned with one.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:49 PM

this is to bcward..im from cabot arkansas..bout 30 miles north of little rock..but i entered the air force back in january so im stationed in california..witch really sucks..for huntin anyways..its much harder and more expensive here

Quick Reply: Will a .243 "drop" a deer quickly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.