Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How much stock do you put in solunar predictions? >

How much stock do you put in solunar predictions?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much stock do you put in solunar predictions?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Spike

Default How much stock do you put in solunar predictions?

How seriously do you follow the solunar calendars? What kinds of experiences have you had with the accuracy of the solunar theory?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How much stock do you put in solunar predictions?

None, I followed them for years and did no better than I did with random chance.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually pay littleattention to it. The way I figure, I'm going to be out there hunting anyway, so why worry about it. If I went solely by the solunar table, I would only hunt the prime times, which would add up to about 3 hours a weekend. I'll be damned if I'm going to cut my hunting timeshort just because the solunar table says to. I have seen deer move when the table says they are supposed to, but I have also seen deer when the table says movement will be slow. I enjoy just being in the outdoors, regardless if I see deer everytime I go out or not. I'm not going to lie to you though, I look at the table sometimes just out of curiosity to see how accurate it is, but I don't plan my hunting on it.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

I usually pay littleattention to it. The way I figure, I'm going to be out there hunting anyway, so why worry about it. If I went solely by the solunar table, I would only hunt the prime times, which would add up to about 3 hours a weekend. I'll be damned if I'm going to cut my hunting timeshort just because the solunar table says to. I have seen deer move when the table says they are supposed to, but I have also seen deer when the table says movement will be slow. I enjoy just being in the outdoors, regardless if I see deer everytime I go out or not. I'm not going to lie to you though, I look at the table sometimes just out of curiosity to see how accurate it is, but I don't plan my hunting on it.
i agree with superstrutter. most years the tables, moon phase and weather aren't favorable (supposedly) when i get to hunt for the first time of the year. but, that doesn't stop me from hunting. if ihunted real close to my house and could get out when ever i wanted then i may follow the tables more closely. i have a better chance at shooting game under non-ideal conditions in the woods than i do on my couch.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't put any into it. I've heard a qualified whitetail biologist say that they move around every 3-4 hours to forage for food regardless.

I'm sure some times are better than others, but I just don't pay any attention to it.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Zip. Zero. Nada.

Furthermore, why would you want to follow a system that tells you most of the time you go in to the woods that it's probably going to be a bad day?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

One aspect of the solarlunar cycles you can take to the bank: second new moon phase after the fall solistice, be in the woods as much as possible if hunting the rut is your thing.

ADDITIONALLY, MY FAVORITE TIME TO HUNT IS WHEN THE MOON IS LITERALLY a sliver of a crescent, with a star inside the crescent. [*
Old 09-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't usually need a chart to tell me the best times will be in the early morning, and late in the afternoon... However, if there's an indication that there will be good movement during the middle of the day, I'll be there. There isn't really a *bad* time to be hunting IMO.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never beleved in them but a couple of guys that I work with plan their hunts around them. I guess that if you believe they work you'll stay in the woods.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

None. I go when I can, stay out as long as I can ... regardless of moon phase, solar tables, weather or any other such. I ain't sayin' it don't work, just I don't pay it no mind.

Quick Reply: How much stock do you put in solunar predictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.