Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My First Woods Experience

Old 09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default My First Woods Experience

Am a non-hunting woman who is pro hunting and just wanted to share this with you. My first hunting experience was last Saturday, opening bow season, and it went very well. My nephew, Jason, wanted me to share this special day in the woods with him. I was up from the morning before, and couldn't sleep at all waiting for him to pick me up. He came a little earlier, picked me up at 3:30 AM. He drove down to his hunting club. Got there a little before 5 AM. Saw other club members, and a few other family members. We had a quick snack and all headed out to their spots.

Jason went out of his way to clear the trail into the woods to where he had his blind set up. He had 2 chairs in there and set up his digital camera on a tripod to catch some pics. Got his bow and arrow ready and we sat and waited. To his right he saw a buck and another buck coming in behind him. Both stopped and were looking in our direction. I couldn't see them, because of the angle and being way too dark. I did hear them snort--have never heard that sound before. Both turned back and took off. So, we waited some more. A lonely button buck came in. He was a nice size for a BB, and Jay was thinking about shooting him, but didn't. He did get the opportunity but, let him walk. Nothing else came in and we went back to the clubhouse a little before 9 AM.

Another nephew, Mike, joined us for breakfast. Drove to a nearby place. Food was good and we enjoyed spending that time together. That was around 10 AM. Headed back to the club and BS-ed with several members who were there. A lot more members started driving in as there was a meeting scheduled for 12:00. While the guys discussed their club business, I stayed outside and walked around until I found "1" spot where my cell phone got a signal and spent that hour talking with a friend. Sun was very hot, but had a nice long chat. After the meeting, I went inside and just hung out there with the others, as it was much cooler. Most of the members had only come for that meeting, so they had left.

About 3:45 PM, Jay and I decided we would head back into the woods. Sat and waited. It was very quiet except for the birds and a couple of squirrels around. Finally, a deer was coming in from a little different direction. That was around 5:15 PM. She looked to be a nice size and she was all alone. Jay had to shoot a doe before earning a buck tag in that zone. He got his bow ready and I knew he was waiting for her to turn broadside. She did, and he let the broadhead fly. Went about 10 yds and I saw that he made a good lung shot. She jumped and ran about 90 feet away, where she died in a couple of mins. He checked his arrow, recovered the deer right away and dragged her out of that area. Gutted her at the club and we went to a check station, but they had closed. So, we stopped at a nearby store where he got ice and packed the cavity. We had a quick bite driving back up north. Jay called another place closer to home to see if he could check the deer in there. The guy waited for us to get there and that was done.

By this time, Jay's truck needed gas, so he got that right before driving me home. This was around 10 PM. I had a great day. My experience will be one I will never forget. Thanks to Jason for making this day a very good one. Glad he filled his doe tag and I enjoyed spending that special day with him. Hope he gets his buck next time out!
Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My First Woods Experience

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I hope to put my mom in a stand with mesomeday soon
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Its great to be out in the woods, hunting or not. Glad you ejoyed yourself.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

That was a good read,and I am happy that you had a good time and experience!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story, my wife hasn't ever harvested an animal either but she really enjoys going. The last couple years she has really started to show a lot of interest in getting one of her own....Glad you enjoyed yourself, the outdoors and all that goes with it is simply amazing!!!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

I,m sure more people would view the experiance as you did in the wilderness .
Out in the wild is such a great experiance and a shame not to at least try once .
Your adrenolin can go from mellow to heart pounding in a split second .
Glad you enjoted it ...
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Always glad to hear of anothers journey to enlightenment.....

The woods can be a very spiritual place.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, very much, to ALL for the great comments. I am so proud of my nephew and am still feeling good about this "adventure"...even a whole week later. I am hoping to get out there with him, again. Unfortunately, he did find that his blind had been vandalized. Someone made foot long slashes all over it and cut up the mesh windows. I feel terrible for him. His trail cam wasn't pointed in that direction so he doesn't know who did it; however, he is going to try to salvage it by stitching it and using either glue and/or tape over the seams. He has a set of extra windows that he'll also use. He thinks he can repair and use it again. This was a very nice house blind and I think the person who did this is pretty low. If I get to go out there with him, in the near future, I will post that experience, as well.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be cool to see pictures too.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: remington_girl

It would be cool to see pictures too.
HINT...HINT...HINT...lol

Quick Reply: My First Woods Experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.