Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need Info!: Packing out a deer? >

Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

I bone out the deer in that situation, pack the meat into game bags, put the game bags in my Badlands 2200 pack, tie the cape/antlers to my pack and walk out.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know in Texas they have an odd regulation that requires the bone to stay in the quarters.

A quartered carcass is:
[*]not more than two forequarters, leg portion (down to the knee) attached to the shoulder blade;[*]two hindquarters (leg bones down to the hock must remain attached); and[*]two backstraps/trimmings from neck and rib cage (the boned-out neck and rib cage may be discarded).
[/ul]
Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

It depends. One solution is to first gut the deer. Then tie the right front leg to the right rear leg with rope. Tie the left front leg to the left rear leg. Prop the deer up against something. Sit down and slip your right arm through the loop formed by the two right legs; slip your left arm through the loop formed bythe two left legs. Stand up and lift the deer like a backpack. This works if the deer is not too heavy. Where I hunt in Oklahoma gutted deer may weigh just 100 LBS or less, and this technique works.
Of course you may get shot on the way out!
Thats EXACTLY what i was thinkin.
someone gonna pop ya!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

I'm surprized that no one has mentioned those two wheeled deer carts. I have never used one, but it seems a lot easier than dragging. Just carry out your climber and rifle, then go back in with the cart. If I was going to go back into the WMA, I would look into getting one of those.
I was using mine just yesterday to pack branches and other debris from a massive windstorm for disposal, really saved my back. Mine was purchased from Sportsman's Guide for about $60, it weighs about 30 lbs. You could pack your gear in with it, and pack out that and your deer with ease. It even folds for easy storage.