Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer Decoy Opinions - Best One? >

Deer Decoy Opinions - Best One?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Decoy Opinions - Best One?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Deer Decoy Opinions - Best One?

One of my friends I recently met has raved about Deer Decoys. I have never used one and wanted to get opinions / best one to use. Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Decoy Opinions - Best One?

The most common I see is the Carry lite buck decoy. I have seen on the shows it works great. In my opinion I think I am going to purchase a Flambeau Big boss buck. It's just is abetter looking decoy to me. The reviews I have found online are good also. I havea doe decoy but does are very skeptical of it so I think a buck decoy is the way to go. Intersting to get any opinions on here of anyone who has used one.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

I use a older delta decoy .once in a while .
I,ve had ok, luck with it .
Ive been eyeballing the new scarface decoy out by Primos .
Head is hinged so any breeze will move it back and forth and the Tail is interchangable with a life like replica , Also moves with a breeze .
Cheapest Ive seen it is $150.00 AT GANDER .
Old 09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you dont have to lug it far, useone of your3d buck targets.Have it double as a shooting tool, and a decoy all in one. Shoot it at home, bring it in and use it as a decoy in the woods. As long as you; 1. dont have to carry it far, 2. it looks fairly decent, 3. you spray it down scent free..

Does steer clear of doe decoys, so if a doe is leading another buck, the decoy may keep the doe from coming into your setup. So either use a doe/buck combination decoy or use a buck decoy by himself. Face the buck toward your stand so that the buck circles to the front of the buck. (Bucks will circle to the front of a buck decoy, and to the back of a doe decoy...you can figure out why...)
Old 09-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Spike

I think it has alot to do with the size (body) of the deer in your area. The Carry Lite is a better fit for the deer in NC. I have seen the scar face and I think the body is just too big for the deer in my area.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 PM

Renzo's for me. I have 5 of the doe's and one buck. I position the doe's so that other deer think the decoy's are moving when the actual live deer circles. Bought them last year, no bucks came to set-up, but had some does come with-in bow range and even had one comical event when a mature doe was getting all piss that these does wouldn't leave "her" terrority!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the standing/head up Doe Decoy from Flambeau,you can get the Antler Kit and make it into a Buck later on in the season if your wanting to draw in another Buck.If your Buck decoy is pretty big it can possibly scare away any potential smaller Bucks you may intend on shooting so you don't want it to look too intimidating!The Flambeau decoy has detatchable legs so it can look like it is bedded down,the head comes off along with the legs and stores away inside the body cavity,it looks very life-like.They also make another Doe decoy the has its head down like it is feeding...biggest downfall is it can be somewhat noisy assembling and carrying so I wrap the legs/head with camo material and stuff it inside the cavity to keep it more silent.Oh yeah...got it on sale for around $100.00 + tax