Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poll Question

no not realy. it has not been spoted in north dakota. and if the gnf do there job they can keep an eye on animals.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:19 PM

It hasn' t reached us out here in MA but I have a lot of buddys in WI and it sounds
pretty nasty. Hopefully they' ll find a way to cure or at least contain it.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:39 PM

No im not realy afraid yet atleast it has not reach us in va.

Old 03-16-2003, 08:05 PM

In my opinion, I think CWD is being blown out of proportion. We must remember that CWD has been around since the mid 1960' s. The reason they are finding it more often and in other places, is they are looking for it. Up until recently, if we as hunters had come across a dead deer, we would have asumed it had been poached, shot and not recovered or died of natural causes depending on the time of year it was found. I agree that if we don' t do anything about it, it could become a real threat. Keep in mind that the area of WI. (south central) that they found the largest concentration of CWD, had a very high deer population. We all know that if we don' t keep our deer herds at a level that the land can support the results can be tragic. It can come in the form of disease like CWD, Bovine TB, Blue Tongue or even starvation. That is why we as sportsman and stewards of gods creatures have an obligation to continue to hunt and do what we can to manage the deer herds as well as their habitat.

Am I worried about CWD? Only if we as sportsman don' t continue to do our part!
Old 03-17-2003, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Am I afraid of it in general? No, not really.

Am I afraid of it coming to my stated? Yes, I am.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:56 AM

Afaid no, Concerned yes.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:20 PM

not really..if the deer looks fine to me after i shoot it, i' ll eat it..or give it to someone who really wants it.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Right now I' m not to worried about it. I think that the main reason some people are so excited about it is because we really don' t understand it. We haven' t studied it enough to really know how it can effect a herd. I' ve read some articles were people say that it can completely destroy an areas deer population. I just don' t know if I belive it' s that devestating.

Last summer I talked with a biologist with the Wisconsin DNR, about their CWD problem. He told me that their plan is to try to kill every deer in the infected area ( I belive it is three counties), and try to keep the area deer free for 5 years. To me, that seems like a pretty tall order, but he said that they felt that it was the best way to stop the disease from spreading. Obviously some people ( even some experts) belive that it is a very serious problem.