Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-15-2003, 10:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best K9 for deer?

Folks where I' m from have always used beagles. You may know that beagles come in two sizes, 13" and 15" (refers to how tall they are at the shoulder). Both will work but 15" beagles move faster in general. I wouldn' t be too picky though, as it isn' t uncommon to loose a dog or two in a full day of hunting. Make sure you have your name and phone number on thier collars so if one does get away, you can still get them back if someone finds it.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beagles.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:35 PM

i would definetly say beagles! at the top kodiak talked about the short leg or long leg beagles. i will pretty much only use the short leg beagles for a couple of reasons: first if you run anywhere close to water the short legged beagles are a lot less likely to cross the water (we run around some swamps and the long legged beagles will always cross the swamp) the problem with this is that you either have to go across and get them or wait for them to come back! this could take awhile (have spent many nights waiting for dogs to come home.)
the second reason why i prefer the shorter ones is because they can not keep up with the deer when running them. they will find the trail and jump the deer to get them moving, but it does not take long before the deer as split from the dogs. the reason i like this is because this allows the deer to move and come back before the dogs chase the deer into the next county
Old 03-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Best dogs I ever had was a pack of blueticks. Smart and easy to handle as well as great in the woods. You will find good dogs of most any breed, as well as a bunch of hole fillers.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:55 PM

Walkers, just my personal preference. I have seen some pretty decent beagles, but when my dogs are on one I want him to know he' s gotta get out of dodge. Makes it a little more challenging when the deer hits the road too.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:21 PM

I would have to agree Beagles! It' s been about 10 years since I' ve hunted with dogs, and I sure do miss it. I moved to PA. from Virginia about 10 years ago and had to leave my deer dogs (all beagles) behind. I prefered beagles for a couple of reasons. One they didn' t seem to run the deer as hard (because of their short legs) and two, because they were cheaper to feed. You could feed 2 beagles for the same cost of feeding one big hound.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have walkers and beagles at my hunt club. We also have a guy who is gradually breeding to have tall beagles, taller then the 15' .
Old 03-20-2003, 09:23 PM

I use beagles,they want run the deer out of the world.they run slower and most times the deer will circle in a mile or two.
that just my 2 cents,there are 98 more!![:-]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.