Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Long Range Shooting at Game Animals >

Long Range Shooting at Game Animals

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Long Range Shooting at Game Animals

Old 03-17-2003, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Long Range Shooting at Game Animals

John B- I have not spoke with you about this topic before. I never said " you" used ranging shots or " you" guessed at ranges. You asked for feedback and I gave it to you based on my encounters with people that take extreme shots. I still don' t see how you can be " exactly" sure what is around an animal from 800 yards. It is my opinion, and I am sticking to it that 800 yard shots are best left on the rifle range.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:51 PM

subsonic,

Sorry about the confusion. Some of my remarks listed after your name were not directed at you. Just some of the things others had said and I was answering. After looking at my post I can see how I did not make that clear. Sorry again for my screwup. Thanks for the input.

John
Old 03-17-2003, 07:11 PM

John B- No blood no foul :-) What Traditional Archery stuff do you guys have planned?
Old 03-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Spike

I have a question.If your show has 10 single shot kills ,between 500 and 800 yards,how many other wounded deer were there that didnt make the final cut?Did you edit the bad shots?or should I believe that every " single" shot was fatal?
Old 03-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

John B, out of curiosity, how many times, with a cold barrel can you hit a kill zone in a row at 800++ yards? A number of years ago our 155 outfit would lob a round out about 15 miles, then adjust a time or two and then fire battery effect. Not real neat, but very effective, but not exactly ethical in my opinion for hunting.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

As others have said, I am ok with long range shots as long as you are not wounding 5 animals to get 10 good shots on film.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:06 AM

It doesn' t matter what type of " disclaimer" , for lack of better words, you would use in explaining the effort and training that goes into shooting at these ranges. This type of shooting requires a great deal of skill. But this show will just encourage others to try it, and that is the last thing we need in the hunting community is a bunch of people trying these type of shots.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:57 AM

I don' t see much point in a show like that, doesn' t seem like something I' d bother watching. I know full well there' s plenty of people who can make those shots with confidence, but how fun would a show be with animals tipping over at 600yds? About as much fun as televising a sillouette shoot. The fun of TV shows for most folks is seeing the hunter get close, stalk, etc.
Nothing wrong with a skilled shot taking game at long ranges, but I just don' t see folks tuning in to watch it. There' s enough poor quality hunting shows to watch as it is.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Spike

There are a lot of guys that do just this every year in PA.. They sit on logging and forestry roads. Glass the mtn. across from them and then take deer at ranges from 500yds. to over 1000yds. These guys are very ethical hunters and dont take shots they feel they cant make.I have hunted with one of them and took a doe at a little over 700yds.First shot hit just to the right of her second took her in the neck dead on the spot. Not trying to push another site but there is a thread in huntingpa about this. Go to general hunting and check back probably 60 days. There are pictures there as well.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:56 AM

Thanks for all the great input guys. I made this post over on the Big Game forum and I will answer questions on that forum so it is a littlw more manageable for me. Some of the guys have called BS so I will have to do some explaining.

I really enjoy this stuff.

Thanks again.

Show will start April 7 2003 on The Sportsman Channel. www.thesportsmanchannel.com

Information on how to get the Sportsman Channel is on the web site. 100% hunting and fishing.

John

Quick Reply: Long Range Shooting at Game Animals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.