Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

salt block's??

Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: salt block's??

i put out mineral blocks, which has a base of sodium. On my place deer seem to hit it better during the spring and summer months, activity seems to drop off when the temps start to cool down. I dont ever hunt over them, just there to provide extra minerals for the deer
Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the deer cane in block form and powder form, not to bait but to supplement them. They love it
Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just like us, deer love NaCl, "white salt". But also like us, it does next to nothing for their health.

While pure NaCl is a great attractant, why not make a lick worth something to the deer? It is easy and relatively cheap to do. This mix is roughly the formula I found years and years ago in an article from Auburn U. , based upon their research into managing deer and providing supplemental minerals. Also matched up well with info from Penn. State. All of this is usually available at any feed-seed store. It is granular and bagged in 50# bags.

Mixing Salt .... Almost 100% NaCl .... About *$6.50/50#
Di-Ccalcium Phosphate ... A grayish looking powder. .... About *$25/50#.
Hi Calcium mineral ... Often used for cows with calves at side. Usually off white, sort of like chalk dust. ... About *$15/50#.
* What I paid in January of 2008. Not sure what it is now.

Mix a ratio of about 1-2-2. That would be 250# as a minimum purchase, enough to make 3-5 decent areas for the deer to start in on ... for about $90. I refurbish each every February. This stuff does the most good for the deer across the spring and summer. However, it will attract deer year round. I have found a great place to put this is to find a used trail, and a rather large tree stump along that trail. Dump 50# or so onto the top of the stump. The rain will do the rest.

Be careful, hunting over a mix like this is illegal in Alabama. Not sure about other states.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i recently gota fre 6.5 lbs. bag ofdeer cane i just wondered if u guys have had any success with this stuff
Old 09-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a salt lick that I have had for about 5 years now. They really start hitting it in April up till around Septan then it starts to drop off. I put about 50lbs ofrock salt in it every year.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

i put out mineral blocks, which has a base of sodium. On my place deer seem to hit it better during the spring and summer months, activity seems to drop off when the temps start to cool down. I dont ever hunt over them, just there to provide extra minerals for the deer
This is what i do as well
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

i put out my deer cane block out a couple days ago.. and put out some deer cane liquid out a bit ago..

hers some pictures from early morning today ..no date stamp but it rained last night and theres fresh tracks in this position...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

one more.. seems we have an abundance of does around here..

few bucks on camera.. we've had a couple big 8's but this camera is about 175 yards behind my house too..
Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dark ak

They will tear the ground several months after its gone
x2!

deer still rub at the ground where i had one two years ago
Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice looking pic ar bowhunter

Quick Reply: salt block's??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.