Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shed hunting-finally found one. >

Shed hunting-finally found one.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed hunting-finally found one.

Old 03-14-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Shed hunting-finally found one.

It was my third time out and I finally found one. I went to a forest preserve where I have came across some nice big bucks while photo hunting. I walked for hours cutting back and forth turning over every clump of leaves, and kicking over branch’s only to find nothing. I only stopped to take off my gloves to wipe my runny nose. When I went to pick up my gloves guess what was laying just inches away. Yep my first antler! It was just a fork horn but I will take it. I can’t wait to get back out there.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shed hunting-finally found one.

congrats to you!! i went out twice...once searched for about 2 hrs on deer trails and another hour i walked to look for more hunting ground one a quad trail and found nothing....but the deer herd back there isnt to great..buck to doe ratio is about 1 buck to 4-6 does...so it will be hard for me...i doubt i really go back out to shed hunt there....congrats to you!!..you would probally walked right by it lol...good job..keep finding them!
Old 03-14-2003, 03:00 PM

mabe you should stop to wipe your nose more often, lol congrats to you on your find, i still havent found anything here.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:24 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first shed. Some of them blend in real well. Been a few times I have walked by a shed and not seen it then came back though the same area and found it. I like to stop every 20 or 30 yards and look back from where I have come and scan all around me. I tripped over one once in some taller grass that had been pushed down by the snow covering it. If I hadn' t tripped on it I never would have found it. Anyways congrats again and goodluck finding more.

Tim
Old 03-15-2003, 06:19 PM

Congrats on your first find,I hope many more will follow.It seems you always find them when you least expect to.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your first.

I found my first the first time out. It was a 5 point side to a 2 year old buck. Thats also the last one I found, I went out 2 times that year and looked field edges and last year I only had time to go out once. This year I' ve looked around the fields around the house and havent finished that yet but I also went to the hedge row that my stand overlooks and there is alot of fresh sign and I walked all through the trails on that thing and all I found was a dead buck. Dead while still in velvet, 2 year it looked like but that would only be a guess, not enough to take of the horns one side about 6" with no tines and the other is about 1" , coyotes had got to it of course but I found one hell of a scrape, I know...too late, it was about 4 ft. across and about 3 ft. front to back. I walked this 200yd.X20yd. hedge row and walked all 4 trails in and out of it and through both thickets with more briar than any sane person would walk through, but I did it, but to no avail horn wise, still came home hornless but got to scout and had fun doin it, guess thats what really counts
Old 03-18-2003, 07:40 PM

Congrats! I found my first shed antler this past bow season while trailing a doe. Needless to say at that time squirrels had already beaten my to it. It was half of an eight ptr. Hope you find many more. Good Luck
Old 03-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out a couple days ago and found all kinds of elk horns ,only one problem they were still wearing them . This is kind of late for here but the weather has been pretty mild this year . I did find a few deer horns from last year but nothing new so far . Luck to you all halcon
Old 03-18-2003, 09:34 PM

Congrats!!

I finally found my first and second on Sunday. The first one was one antler of a fork horn and the second was the nine ptr that I missed earlier in the season,At least I was able to get a piece of him, maybe this seaon I' ll get the whole package!!
Old 03-19-2003, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great story! I have not had the chance to engage in that activity yet this year especially with the snow cover. But, the recent warm weather has changed that and I see a window of opportunity opening up this weekend. Maybe with a little hard work I can have as good as results as you did.

Quick Reply: Shed hunting-finally found one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.