Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you process your own deer or take it to a processor/butcher? >

Do you process your own deer or take it to a processor/butcher?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you process your own deer or take it to a processor/butcher?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you process your own deer or take it to a processor/butcher?

I do both... depending on weather & time...

Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I find butchering my deer is as much fun as the hunt itself.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I already have the job halfway done by the time I get out of the woods I figure I might as well finish the job myself.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do it myself...I grew up on a farm, we killed 12-18 pigs a year, not only did we butcher but we made our own sausage, souse, cracklins, dandoodles, slab bacon and cured and smoked our own hams...
We also butchered 2-3 cows a year and put in the freezer...

I'd feel like an idiot taking a deer to someone else to butcher...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM

I get to gather with a bunch of friends and we butcher all are own deer.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’ve done my own deer (3-6 per year) for many years now.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:16 AM
8mm
Typical Buck

i process all my deer because the price of having one done up i can cut one up an package it just as good as they do for a lot less of the price
Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 AM
Spike

I do it myself. It always seemed like part of the hunt. After you kill it you gotta clean it and freeze it.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 AM

Me and my brother and whoever else is willing to help will de-bone it ourselves. The first couple ofdeer we make into all burger. Towards the end of the season we will send two to the meat locker to have summer sausage and deer sticks made. Usually about $300 around here to have two done into all sticks and summer sausage.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like most of the hunters I know in my area take them to processers. They pay $75-100, depending on what they want done.

Every time I cook venison for these guys, they say it tastes better than theirs does. This is because most processers don't take the time to trim properly and also cut them up with bandsaws, which essentially contaminates the meat with bone chips. They don't seem to wrap or seal the meat very well either.

I also know a guy that helps out at a processer. They do all ground meat in batches, meaning the meat you get back is not entirely yours. This is unacceptable to me.

I bone the meat out and mostly leave it in large pieces. Loins are cut in half, rounds are separated, sirloins left whole, front shoulders and neckare cut and trimmed for stew or to be ground later. Not much left after that. This takes all of about an hour per deer and the only equipment I need is a knife. I do have a foodsaver vacuum sealer, which is nice but not necessary. I have a grinder attachment on a Kitchenaid machine. It is not what you'd want to grind quantity,but it's fine for the small amount of grinding I do.

I cut the large pieces into steaks when I use them, or leave them whole as roasts. That cuts down on the time required to get the deer put away, and larger pieces stay better in the freezer.I cook most of my venison on the grill, and never go past rare/medium rare. Roasts are cooked to 125 degrees, then wrapped in foil to rest for at least 20 minutes.

In my opinion, a lot of venison is ruined when cooked. I love venison, but I don't really like the taste when it is cooked past medium, which is the way most guys around here seem to do it. I have converted a couple guys though.

Quick Reply: Do you process your own deer or take it to a processor/butcher?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.