Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Proper Clothing Prep?? UV???

Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Proper Clothing Prep?? UV???

Well my 1st year with a bow and my 3rd year as a serious hunter. Wondering about how to properly prepare my clothing this year for hunting. I saw this thing on tv (yea i dunno) about how using sport wash and this UV killer improves your camo...REAL OR FAKE?

Was wondering what types of soaps you guys are using to wash your hunting clothing...last thing i want to do is go out there smelling like dryer sheets and glowing in the dark...

What about these scent killers by hunters specialties and dead down wind...not to mention 100 other brands...any thoughts on them?

Just want to be as effective as possible.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Proper Clothing Prep?? UV???

I wash my clothes in scent-free soap with no UV brighteners. Then I store them in plastic bags with some fresh cut pine branches. I usually spray some scent-away on my boots before I walk in. I also bathe only with scent-free soap and stop using deodorant starting a week before the season opens. Every year I am surprised at how my sense of smell improves when I start avoiding all that perfume.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Spike

I use the H.S.scent away laundry detergent then ihang them outside,then put them in a plastic bag.I also use scent away hair and body soap.I carry a small spray bottle of scent away for those warm days.As far as the uvspray ,i don't use it and i do all my hunting on the ground.I shot a 10 pt that was only 30 yds away, as i was sitting on a log.The deer never noticed me until i moved to shoot.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Sport wash is used primarily for re-waterproofing or just for general good care of wet weather gear. I don't think it's necessary for every wash but it is probably better than scented detergents.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Fork Horn

sport wash...? what is that? can i find that at the local supermarket? or walmart? or is that special thing i gotta find at like cabelas?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Walmart used to carry it, but the ones where I live no longer do. They do carry HS detergent. It's scent free and has no UV brighteners. I wouldn't go as far as not using deodrorant. You can get the scent free Arm & Hammer stick deodorant at Walmart for under $2. You can buy the HS and other similar types, but you are going to pay $4 for them. I just use the Arm & Hammer. I wash all of my clothes and put them in garbage bags. I shower before a hunt with scent free soap and shampoo. If you have an Academy nearby, you can get the soaps cheaper. I rub pine and weeds on my clothing and boots before I enter the woods. I spray scent away on my boots. I ama little more scent conscious when I bow huntthan when I amgun hunting, but I'm still very careful then too.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

All these things can help, but your best bet is to learn to play the wind and terrain, and how to make as little sound and motion as possible. These 4 things are way more important than how you do your laundry.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I have said many times here, you can't always count onthe wind. The wind is usually variable. It can change directions at any time. This is why IMO it is crucial to be as scent free as possible. It never hurts to go the extra yard, especially when your dealing with a Whitetail.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Forget about UV. Just go stinky free with unscented, scent killer if you want detergents. Hunt the wind. UV indeed. Snake oil I say.[&:]
Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think most no scent clothes washes are also UV killers.

I think the more important thing is the scent killer clothing wash, ie eliminating scent from your hunting clothing.

I think if your clothing has UV dyed/brightened fabric, UV killer may help, but not by much.

I think UV killer works better to eliminate UV brightners in detergents with UV brighteners, you can check it with a black light.....but UV killer wont eliminate it if its in the original dye/fabric.

So use it none the less for the no scent properties, and if it helps with UV great.

Quick Reply: Proper Clothing Prep?? UV???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.