Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TOO MUCH?

Old 03-11-2003, 11:10 AM

Default TOO MUCH?

I' m using a 300 ultra mag for whitetails am I crazy for using this or should I go with something smaller? I think DEAD IS DEAD no matter what you use
Old 03-11-2003, 12:35 PM

Default RE: TOO MUCH?

Bullet design controls excessive meat damage and I don' t believe in overkill.

woods
Old 03-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

why in the world do you need a 300 ultra in PA for??? deer arent big......bear arent to big.......chances of getting an elk tag arent so great.....unless you do alot of out of state hunting i dont think its really needed...just an expensive bullet and a painful one at that......if your just hunting deer sure its a fine round and will work but you really dont need all that for a PA deer...if i didnt love my mauser so much i would sell it for a smaller caliber..its only a 3006...at 50yds(typical PA shot assuming your in PA again...) its like hitting them with a brick...but if thats all you have it will work fine....i doubt it does much more than a 3006 does...going way to fast to open to its full potential....its a fine round.....
Old 03-11-2003, 04:22 PM

I use my 300rum on whitetails here in Alabama. Works fine. Don' t let anyone tell you it' s too big. The trajectory can' t be argued with. Just don' t hit a deer in the chest (frontal shot). That makes quite a mess. I usually take neck shots. Make sure you practice with it so people don' t say that you' re trying to substitute power for skill.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like mauser06 said. i think that a 300 is kinda big.
deer arent big......bear arent to big.......3006 at 50yds(typical PA shot assuming your in PA again...) its like hitting them with a brick...
i can understand if you are an avid elk hunter, big game ect then ya by all means its a good load. but tell you the truth i have a 30-06 and i got one because it is so versital. it works great for deer. maybe alittle to much power. but if i need longer shot i got the power for it. i sort of beleive in over kill. if its not dead then finish it off. but i mean if your talkin a huge gun that blows the crap outa em then i do. i love my 30-06sprgfld and if i draw a elk or moose tag its big enough for em too.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think DEAD IS DEAD no matter what you use
Couldn' t be any closer to the truth

Someone once said accuracy is a requierment & caliber is just a preference....

Old 03-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bear you bought, so thus you have answered your own question. The RUM maybe overkill to some, but that doesn' t really matter. I use a 7mm RM for hunting deer and have been asked why? Simply b/c I like the extra range, power and feel very confident with the 7 in my hands. It boils down to the guy pulling the trigger, you may not need it but if your happy it will work great.

Preference, confidence and ability = happiness (IMHO)
Old 03-12-2003, 10:18 AM

You can use any gun you want. Hell, if you' re willing to take a neck or a head shot, you can use a .50. If you shoot a deer in the front shoulder with a .300, then you are going to lose a lot of meat. Then again, it is your deer and your tag, so do what you want.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:46 PM

If you like shooting the rifle, go for it.
Of course you don' t need that much for deer, so what.
Better overgunned than undergunned.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 25-06 and a 7mm-08 and my brother hunts with a 45-70 and a .350mag.Mine are just as dead as his and his are no deader than mine-hunt with what you' re comfortable and capable of shooting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.