Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Best Slug for Mossberg 500 Rifled Barrel >

Best Slug for Mossberg 500 Rifled Barrel

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Slug for Mossberg 500 Rifled Barrel

Old 08-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best Slug for Mossberg 500 Rifled Barrel

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

BRIs always worked great for me in the 500 -

I switched to an Ithaca rifled barrel and used Lightfields the last few years with great results.
I don't think its the "gun" so much - as finding the right brand that shoots well in it.

My farthest shot was 110 yards - and honestly I missed the 1st shot (held on the back - shot over it) Luckily - the deer never ran - second shot with BRIs hit basically where I aimed.

FH
farm hunter........Back in the early 60's BRI (Ballistic Research Institute) did all oftheir testing with Moss 500 and rifled barrel before they went on the market. They were so accurate that Winchester bought-out BRI in the 70's...

I have a 1963 Shooters Bible with 6 pages of the Testing & Accuracy ofthe Ballistic Research Institute sabot...
Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

I shoot the sst's although i havent shot a deer with em yet, i havnt heard anything yet like that about losing a deer.
Here is a sampling of what I have been reading about the Hornady SST slugs, and I quote:

great but no good, November 19, 2007
By carld from jackson michigan

"I have been hunting whitetails with slug guns for over 20 years and tried just about every slug on the market.
this year I tried the SSTs.
at the range they shot like a dream out of my 870 1" groups at 100 yds.
On nov. 16 I shot about a 150' 10 point at 125 yds dead on the left side. tracked him for 400 yds. very little blood and could not find the buck.
next day my hunting partner shoot a 160' 10 point at 50 yds same problem. that night I shot a big doe at 75 yds in the front shoulder bullet stoped in hind quarter. the bullet only lost plastic tip. they shot great but don't killer for nothing."

SST - Great on Paper, not on Fur, August 25, 2007
By DucknMI

"I switched to these SST slugs last year because they grouped far better than anything else - 1.5 inches at 100 yards. The accuracy is incredible for a shotgun; speed, trajectory, etc. are all better than anything else on the shelf right now. However, I shot three deer last season with these slugs and was completely disappointed. Two times the slug went right through the vitals (double lung) and out the other side, leaving the same size hole all the way through - no expansion or knock-down power. Both animals ran 60 yards, with little to no blood trail. The third time the bullet caught the front shoulder, bounced straight up and out the top of the back. I found copper shrapnel everywhere. I hate to give up accuracy, but I'm going back to the winchester partition golds. They aren't quite as accurate (3" @ 100yds) but they'll knock a deer over every time. If you like to see your deer drop in their tracks, this is not the bullet for you."

<End of quote>

I'm definitely going to try the Lightfields and the Win Super X BRI's. Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: namari

I'm interested in a slug that will deliver 2 inch groups at a maximum range of 150 yards and that will drop the deer in it's tracks as well. So what's my slug?
Man, that is a tall order! If that is truly the parameters you are looking for, and as a marksmen, you are truly cabable of, it is time to man up (slug gun recoil ain't no fun!)and try every slug you can get your hands on. 2 inch groups at 150 yards is asking a lot from the average shooter, even under ideal conditions from a bench. Dropping a deer in it's tracks is much more about shot placement than the projectile. If you are going to do that on a regular basis, you better be "Dalton Deadeye" with your slug gun. Good luck and hang on to your teeth when the shooting begins!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kid

ORIGINAL: namari

I'm interested in a slug that will deliver 2 inch groups at a maximum range of 150 yards and that will drop the deer in it's tracks as well. So what's my slug?
Man, that is a tall order! If that is truly the parameters you are looking for, and as a marksmen, you are truly cabable of, it is time to man up (slug gun recoil ain't no fun!)and try every slug you can get your hands on. 2 inch groups at 150 yards is asking a lot from the average shooter, even under ideal conditions from a bench. Dropping a deer in it's tracks is much more about shot placement than the projectile. If you are going to do that on a regular basis, you better be "Dalton Deadeye" with your slug gun. Good luck and hang on to your teeth when the shooting begins!
thats wat i was thinking i mean 150 yards for a shotgun shotis wishful thinking
Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 500 with a rifled barrel, tried the Lightfields and BRI's they shot fine. To be honest, what shot as good as anything were the Winchester XX rifled slugs. I'm talkin the $2.00 a box of 5 slugs. Before anyone trys to tell you that you can't shoot regular foster slugs out of a rifled barrel they are full of dung. I've done it for over 20 years. You'll have to use a little elbow grease to clean the leading out of the barrel at the end of the season though. I just tried the sabots this spring, never hunted with them yet. But if I'm looking at a 30-80 yard shot the Winchester foster would work just fine. Over 80 yards you might want to go with a sabot.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Remington copper solids shot very well out of my Mossberg

Old 08-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Mossberg 500 rifled shoots Beneke real well out to 100 yards. Very accurate slug!