Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who Would Pay $3500.00 For A Whitetail ? >

Who Would Pay $3500.00 For A Whitetail ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who Would Pay $3500.00 For A Whitetail ?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who Would Pay $3500.00 For A Whitetail ?

I have hunted twice with IMB and will do it again when I decide to save up some money for thetrip. Right now I have other priorities. In 2003 I went to Pike Co Ill during the late MZ season and shot a 140 inch 8 pt. ($1000 3 day hunt not including transportation to Ill) In 2004 I hunted in Iowa zone 5 during the first shotgun season and killed a 168 in 10 pt. ($1700 5 day hunt not including transportation) IMB is a fair chase outfitter that has no fences. They lease thousands upon thousands of acres of great ground. Both hunts I went on only a few of the hunters killed deer. Some elected to pass on smaller bucks and some never saw a shooter. They're prices have risen considerably over the last several years but it is due to their great success of putting people on big deer. In the end it's up to the individual to decide if they want to spend his/her hard earned money on a deer hunt.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

I would never pay a single dime, other than GAS, a license, and meals,to kill an animal native to where I hunt.I would however pay to go on a mule deer or elk hunt out west, but probably only once. As long as I still have deer runnin around at my place, I won't be paying anybodyfor a whitetail hunt. If I didn't have private land I would hunt national forest lands the rest of my life before I paid somebodyfor a whitetail hunt. One of my buddies paid $1900 to kill a 137 inchbuck in Indiana last year, a month later Idrug a 140 inch buck off my private property here in Alabama, for free. Made him sick. I got no interest inpayin to kill a monster, I just like havin the freedom to be in the woods any time I want, that's enough for me. If I do kill anice big buck, that's just a bonus. If youhave the money, it's your money, do what you want with it. But I dang sure wouldn't pay anywhere near $3500 to kill an animal thatwalks around behind my house, I'd use it for gas money.
When you say "my private property here in Alabama", are you talking about property that you actually own? Or someone else's private property who lets you hunt there? If it's your property, sorry, but you ain't hunting for free... You paid for the land. Most of us don't have that luxury. If we want to hunt a place that has anything furry on it, we've got to ante up. It costs a couple grand to get on a lease in the Hill Country. To BUY a place that's as big as the ranch I hunt would cost several million dollars... Seems to me rather silly to say "I wouldn't pay a dime. I can hunt at MY place."

As for hunting "public" land... yeah, good luck. Precious little of it here in Texas, and what there is is usually over-hunted. We had a guest at the ranch we lease who had been hunting public land in East Texas for years. He came out to our ranch and shot the first puny-azz little buck he saw. A 2 1/2 year old little eight point that scored under 80 inches. Said he'd never seen one that big where he hunts, so he figured it was a good one.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting, I am on a lease here in Texas. Costs $1400 year per gun and only produces a few deer. Since so much land down here is private if you want to hunt you pay. Now $3500 is more than I can afford so I don't pay to hunt the high end areas. I am not opposed to high fence like others, the last two places I visited (Couldn't afford to hunt) were high fenced and the smallest one was 4000 acres. I'll bet some deer didn't even know their was a fence. A place I helped cull a few does off of last year is 16,000 acres (small by west Texas standards and he is now high fenced on three sides because neighbor installed fence. If a true Deer management program is run, that is expensive and like anything else you pay to play. A person I know, their dad runs a 4000 acre ranch in S. Texas and he regularly has guys paying $15k or more for some bucks. Lots of costs involved (namely the land and feed).
But if you are ok with a meat hunt for deer you can find those (and alot of scams) for only a small amount of dollars here in Texas.
Jake
Old 08-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lanse couche couche how can you say they don't factor in? I've got a beauty set of skinning/boning knives that I bought specificly for hunting. Likewise I bought a second 18 cu/ft freezer that I use specificly for wild game (venison, ducks, geese, grouse, fish). When I get an elk I'm having to store some at my parent's freezer also. And how can you say your gun (scope, rings, sling, case, cleaning supplies, etc.) doesn't factor in? You aren't talking to your wife so fess up. You don't own any calls, scent/scent eliminators, camo, or bullets? (I could list more but I think I made my point) My hunting stuff is my hunting stuff and it's not used for everyday use and I'm sure that there are many hunters that look at their gear the same way.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

It all depends on the person and what toys they want/need in their given situation. The last deer i shot was with a Remington 870 shotgun that has been in the family for 30 years. No scents, calls, etc. involved. The homemade standwas three fourths of a mile from my parents place, so no gas involved.I have used the same old plastic handle butcher knife (given to me) for the last decade to do my own meat processing. All I really need out of a deer is about 20-30 pounds of steaks and roasts that fit nicely in the freezer section of my fridge that I (obviously) already need for other stuff. So, nope, no big cash outlay for me for my deer hunting.My dad is the direct opposite of me and has thousands of dollars wrapped up in stuff specifically for deer hunting, so I understand where you are coming from, though.