Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Youth Rifle

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Youth Rifle

I am sure this topic has been reviewed several times but here it goes again.

I have an 11 year old that weighs 70lbs soaking wet and I need to get him a deer gun. What caliber do you guys suggest and why?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Youth Rifle

The two that come to mind are the .243, and 7mm-08. They seem to have little recoil, and both are adequate at taking deer. I personally like the .243 over the 7mm-08 because I cannot find ammo for the 7mm around here.
Good luck, hope the kid enjoys the season.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM

I SHOT BAMBI. WITH MY YOUTH RIFLE.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Either of them would do very well, but I would go with the .243 just for that little less recoil. My daughter shot both and liked the .243 better, she said the other one punched harder and actually scared her a bit with that.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd certainly say one of the .308 versions.....

years ago when I was youngster I remember my .270 feeling like a cannon. I want to say I was probably 5' 100lbs ish.

I think a .243 with a premium bullet on deer would be plenty lethal, minimal kick/ideal, and a perfect antelope rifle too. Otherwise I'd consider the 7mm-08

Get a .243, you and him both won't regret it.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would go with a 243 wssm , these are devastating on deer
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Spike

I know I will get slammed for this but my son and another kid on our lease uses a .243. I wish I would have went the 7mm-08 route now. Reason being both deer that these two shot last year had no blood trail and yes both shots were put where they needed to be. Both deer one a 9 point 130 class and the other a good doe both ran about fifty yards with no blood trail. My son shoots the remington core lok 90 grain. Not to say the .243 is not a good gun but looking back I wish I would have gotten the 7mm-08. Again just my opinion after what I have seen from both of these deer.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Are you opposed to a 20 gage smoothbore and Foster slugs? They make the 20 gage in youth sizes, and they kill deer very dead.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: skeeter170

I know I will get slammed for this but my son and another kid on our lease uses a .243. I wish I would have went the 7mm-08 route now. Reason being both deer that these two shot last year had no blood trail and yes both shots were put where they needed to be. Both deer one a 9 point 130 class and the other a good doe both ran about fifty yards with no blood trail. My son shoots the remington core lok 90 grain. Not to say the .243 is not a good gun but looking back I wish I would have gotten the 7mm-08. Again just my opinion after what I have seen from both of these deer.
I'm curious... How much do deer weigh in your area? Did they get complete penetration? If not, you might want to switch to the 100 gr. core lokt or one of the more sturdily built premium rounds in the lighter weight load. If you did get complete penetration, do you think that the extra 41/1000ths of an inch diameter of the 7mm would leave a significantly bigger blood trail?

If it were me, I'd get him the .243. That's what I got for my son when he turned 12, and I liked his so much, I got one for myself. At that age and size, the difference between the 8.8 ft lbs of recoil from the .243, and 12.6 ft lbs of recoil from the 7mm-08 is likely to be significant. I sighted my 7 Mag in a couple weeks ago, using the Remington Managed Recoil ammo, which closely duplicates the 7mm-08 ballistics, and the difference in recoil between the .243 and the 7mm is quite noticeable. I started shooting a .30-06 when I was too young and too small for it, and developed a flinch that I still struggle with 35 years later. But, I have no problem at all with the .243, and, based on my limited experience, it has dropped deer just as quickly as my '06 did.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Spike

The 9 point probably weighed about 200lbs before it was gutted. The doe probably wieghed about 100lbs. Both shots were pass through. The buck was shot with a 90 grain rem corelok at about 30 yards and the doe was probably about 150yards.I am no gun smith but I have seen deer shot with a 7mm-08 and the exit hole was bigger than what I have seen with the .243, maybe we just need to change ammo like you said. Now don't get me wrong I love how the .243 shoots I mean you can drive nails with it and there is no kick. I just wish it would leave a better blood trail. Again just my opinion and I am sure there are better people to talk about which calibers are better.

Quick Reply: Youth Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.