Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Broadhead for my 10 year old??? >

Broadhead for my 10 year old???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Broadhead for my 10 year old???

Old 08-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Default Broadhead for my 10 year old???

I need some help determining a braodhead for my 10 year old. This is his first year hunting. His draw weight is about 35 - 40 lbs and I have him using a whisker bisket. I am leaning for a three blade, but would like more cutting diameter. What do you think??????
Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Default RE: Broadhead for my 10 year old???

I always hear good things about the rage 2 blade.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 PM

The muzzy 3-blades are very effective. You may want to post in the bowhunting forum as well. I believe there is also an equipment or tech tip's forum that you can get a lot of good answers. From what I have heard in the past with a 35-40 lb draw weight you do not want to use any mechanicals because with that draw weight there isnt enough arrow speed to make the mechanical broad head work properly. Good luck
Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

i would go with a nice 2 blade or a 2 blade with some bleeders like the magnus buzzcut. That should work great with the lower poundage.

rick

Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't use a mechanical because i doubt his bow will generate enough energy to ensure it opens all the way. your number one concern is going to making sure you get sufficient penetration, so i would look at cut on contact broadheads first. Two blades generally penetrate better then three or four. No matter what you choose though make sure the blades are razor sharp. good luck to both of you
Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Spike

Any cut-on-contact fixed blade should do the trick. I would look at the magnus line (buzzcut or stinger),g5 Striker or Montec (standard not magnum), and possibly even the Slick Trick Standard (these are 4 blade but very sharp). Cut on contact head and a 1" diameter head you should have no problems with. I would steer away from mechanicals until yourboy is pulling more weight and creating more KE. Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: flybub

Any cut-on-contact fixed blade should do the trick. I would look at the magnus line (buzzcut or stinger),g5 Striker or Montec (standard not magnum), and possibly even the Slick Trick Standard (these are 4 blade but very sharp). Cut on contact head and a 1" diameter head you should have no problems with. I would steer away from mechanicals until yourboy is pulling more weight and creating more KE. Good Luck.
Both posts from flybub and gmil are right on point. A good sharp cut-on-contact blade is exactly what he needs right now.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:59 AM

I am looking for a "fixed" broadhaed and not a mechanical
Old 08-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

magnus stingers work great
Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Any quality two blade cut on contact. I personally like Steel Force heads, but all the others mentioned are good too. Also with that light of a draw weight don't go too light on tip weight and over all arrow weight. You will need the extra momentum for penetration.

Stay away from Mechanicals or large 3 blade heads. Remember more cutting diameter and more surface area equal reduced penetration.

And you want those babies SCARY sharp.

Paul

Quick Reply: Broadhead for my 10 year old???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.