Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Outfitters

Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Outfitters

Nothing against outfitters but I have never understood why anyone would hire one for a hunt. I would just like to know for my own info so if you have done it before would you mind telling me why? ( Canada or Alaskamight be the exception)

Thanks,

Spudrow from MO
Old 07-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Outfitters

Remember, its not the hunt your paying for, its the access to land, the fact the scouting has been done as the outfitter is familiar with the area, and some provide a place to stay and meals on the table allowing the hunter more time to enjoy the hunt, rather than the work of maintaining the camp

Its not for everyone, but it is a service that has demand and does provide its benefits.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: spudrow

Nothing against outfitters but I have never understood why anyone would hire one for a hunt. I would just like to know for my own info so if you have done it before would you mind telling me why? ( Canada or Alaskamight be the exception)

Thanks,

Spudrow from MO
I mean how else would someone like me hunt elk, or muleys....... I live in GA so that is pretty much the only route to go.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM

I never hunted with an outfitter but have used air taxis.I have hunted elk ,mulies pronehorn ,bear ,caribou,alaska moose ,wolfs and many other animals in many state and never needed one .Some of the other critters I want to hunt ,require a guide so I will do what I have to someday when I can afford it.I have a buddy that uses them all the time but he can afford it.The word hunting means diffrent things to each person.

[/align]
Old 07-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks fellas. I have never used an outfitter. I guess what ya'll said makes sense. It's a lot of work but I have always done western huntsmyself. Finding a place to hunt, private property,camping out, camp fires, scouting etc. I enjoy the whole 9 yards. Different strokes for different folks. Not a problem

Spudrow from MO

Old 07-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spudrow

Thanks,

Spudrow from MO
we think alike. there is public land in every state. i would never pay for a hunt where someone else has done all the work (scouted, hung stands, pattered the game, etc.), where all you had to do is sit where the "guide" tells you to and pull a trigger (like every t.v. hunting show). some people like this style of hunting but it's not for me. half the pleasure of hunting for me is the work before season opens. it makes for a bigger feeling of accomplishment.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me it's a time and experience thing. I probably would never go on an outfitted whitetail hunt. I hunt those here.

However, I have been on 3 elk archery hunts and loved every minute. When it comes to a species you don't know how to hunt, except for "book knowledge" and its an occassional trip, not an annual thing. The outfitter provides a lot of things so that you don't have have to worry about: food, lodging, land to hunt, knowledge of the animal, scouting out spots to hunt.

Could I learn this all and do an elk hunt on my own? I probably could now that I've been three times, I've been through the pack it out once its down, I know the calling basics, but I still have to find manpower to get the elk out, a place to stay, access to land and a few years learning and scouting an area. This is all done for me via the outfitter.

I've also REALLY enjoyed the company and friendship of the outfitter and guide.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

Remember, its not the hunt your paying for, its the access to land...
Exactly! Another thing is,a nonresidentcan't hunt in Canada without one.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

Remember, its not the hunt your paying for, its the access to land...
Exactly! Another thing is,a nonresidentcan't hunt in Canada without one.
i don't have to worry about that. i'll never be able to afford to hunt in Canada
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

good post... i used to think the same way myself.

people come from out of state to hunt with us for many reasons:

- for the piece of mind that nobody else is screwing up the land.
- the simple fact that their work doesn't allow them to spend time in the woods anymore, so if they have only 3 or 4 days off.
- some people are more trophy hunters than others. i don't guarantee anything but atleast they know that there are good deer on the land.
- the also come because there is someone to take care of the animals... foodplots, scouting, giving them treestand locations, lodging, meals.
-out of state tags cost too much to screw around with public deer that are often too pressured to hunt or too small to shoot.
- to some it is a retreat or vacation, why not spend your vacation hunting.

just because you like to do your own scouting and finding your own animals doesn't mean that there are other hunters out there with different likes and dislikes, or even have the same opportunities. i respect them all.

i still think it is a good post, it is good that you are trying to understand what you haven't experienced.

thanks;
vick

Quick Reply: Outfitters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.