Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes: Quality/Good Price???

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes: Quality/Good Price???

For the muzzle loader barrel I say the Thompson Center Omega, and for the 270 the Elite 4200 is an excellent choice. I prefer the Leupold's for the eye relief myself. Depends more on your budget. For less than the 4200 you can get a Buckmaster. The Buckmaster and the Omega are made by Nikon.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the comment to spend as much on glass as the rifle it self. I don't know anything about muzzleloaders, but for the .270 I'd highly recommend the Zeiss Conquest 3x10 x 44.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Leupold Rifleman, or a Nikon Buckmaster should serve you well. On my 30-06 I have a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x50, but honestly it is a little bit overkill. If I were to do it over again I would go with the same scope in a 3x9x40.
There is no way that I could agree with spending as much as or twice as much fora scope asyou do fora firearm. There are plenty of quality scopes out nowadays that will allow you to see well in low light conditions forclose tohalf....maybe slightly more than half....the cost of a quality firearm.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Hurricanespg - I agree, there are some mid range scopes that work well. But once you'veshot a deer a dusk with a high quality Leupold (not rifleman), Zeiss, or Swarovski its very difficult to go back.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

a11en; Did not mean to sound like I was dissing the higher quality scopes, but to be honest I just don'tthink you need them. If you want to get one that is perfectly fine, but do you really need to spend $700-$1400 on a scope to get a good one? Heck I have shot coyotes at night (3/4 moon) using the Leupold Rifleman 3x9x50, how much clearer does it need to be?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

i would go with the buckmaster from nikon great scopes and even a better price i own 3 of them
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

a11en; Did not mean to sound like I was dissing the higher quality scopes, but to be honest I just don'tthink you need them. If you want to get one that is perfectly fine, but do you really need to spend $700-$1400 on a scope to get a good one?
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've killed many deer with scopes valued under $300.00. I just bought a Burris Fullfield II 4-14x42 for $365.00, almost half the price of the gun I put it on, a Browning A-Bolt WSM .270.I will be willing to bet I can kill just as many deer with this setup as I could with ahigh end scope, and in low light conditions too. I have to admit though,I have a Leupold V III on another .270, but to tell you the truth, I like the Burris just as much. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good scope. Scopes today are so much more improved from years ago, even some ofthe mid line ones are great scopes. A word of caution, don't get a Bushnell, unless it is in the Elite series.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

With the scopes today mid price scopes are good. But when you consider the money, time, and effort you put into this then is it worth it to not be able to take the shot. I have Leup, Nikon, Swar, and a few others but i go to my Trijicon bar none. 56mm bell, 30mm tube, Swar glass. It allowed me to shoot a coyote in starlight only. I am just saying how many times have you heard someone say "I saw a monster but it was just a bit to dark to shoot".
Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pentax Lightseeker
Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Nikon Prostaff..

Quick Reply: Scopes: Quality/Good Price???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.