Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my '08 mount back!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my '08 mount back!

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Great mount. The stickers make it quite unique. How about the story that goes with it?
Oh yeah, love to recall it.

I killed him on Jan 4, 2008 around 7:45 AM. The night before I had decided NOT to wake up early, but to hunt that afternoon. Well, after forgettin to turn the alarm off I woke up at 4:00 AM and couldn't resist. So I headed out, grabbed me a biscuit and coffee, and got to my place about 15 or 20 minutes before any light. It's usually pretty foggy down there at my place on the river and that morning it was so thick I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me, and COLD!!! One of our coldest days we had. I parked the truck at the gate and walked down a hill alongside a power line, and set up overlooking the steep hollow that intersected with the power line. A few days before I was hunting across the power line on a ridge and noticedsome big skint up cedars and a couple nice scrapes,seemed like as good a place as any to try and catch one chasin a doe. I climbed about 25 ft, pulled up my 7mm-08, squirted a few blasts of my triple heat, and got settled in. About 20 minutes later, I heard something bust up through the woods across the powerline, knockin limbs and throwin up leaves. It was an unmistakeable sound and I knew it was the same buck that had made the rubs and scrapes on that ridge. Still foggy as all get out, I couldn't see anything, but could tell it was still a good ways away from the power line. After 30 minutes of the fog pushing in and out from the river and the old bruiser beatin and bangin against tree limbs, the fog finally lifted above the power line and hung about 30 yards above the ground. As soon as the fog lifted and gave me a clear view of the woodline across the power line, he busted outta the woods onto a small rise at the edge. He stood there for about 10 seconds raising his nose into the air and shakin it back and forth, but all I could see was his headbehind all the tall grass. I felt like I was watching a monster bucks video or something seriously, it didn't seem real at all. But I was able to snap out of it and remind myself that this is a huge opportunity.He walkeddown off the rise and into a briar patch a little further down the line, again I didnt have a clear vital shot, but his neck was wiiiiide open. Icould've waited for abetter shot at him, but I just knew if I waited I would never see him again.I got him in my scope at about 70 yards, shook like he** for about 20 seconds, and finally got my breathin under controlto take a shot. When I let that ballistic tip fly he hit the dirt and rolled down the power lineto his final resting place. Second proudest day in the woods ever. Still doesn't beat killing my very first deer and my grandaddy guiding me through the field dressing with bloody hands and a smile. He's gone, but I think he was pretty proud to see that big hoss hit the ground.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got my '08 mount back!

thanks for the story i liked reading it.