Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing essentials!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 PM

Default RE: Field dressing essentials!

I think you guys forgot to mention the very special piece of string to tie off the butthole with.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry disposable plastic gloves and a cheesecloth to put over the deer.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

I always take 2 knives. One to take care of my food, small injuries, etc (Swiss army knife). This one is never contaminated by meat. The other knife is for field dressing. It will be contaminated after use.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Buck two knife set and keep two otthers in my pack as back up. I don't worry about splitting bone in the woods. Get the deer back to the house, hang in the garage and skin it while it's still warm. cape comes off much easier. Then after it's good and cool the bone saw comes out. Or I just spend the $40 and take it to the butcher and they do it all. There's no reason why you need to split the brisket or pelvis to field dress you animal. Just reach in and scoop it out.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

i don't use anything but a sharp knife (Buck). i have learned to quarter the animal by cutting through the joints. this way there is no need to saw anything.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 AM

Thanks all for the information. Good stuff contained in here.

Mike

Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

All ive used is a Smith & Wesson fixed blade knife with skinning hook and a zip saw. No need to carry the rest of the weight.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Buck 110 knife, a Gerber folding saw, and for the past two years I have used a Gerber gut hook. The gut hook is small and I don't have to worry about accidently cutting open the stomach or something else that I really don't want cut.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually just carried a sharp knife with me and a pair of latex gloves. Latex gloves mainly because I bite my nails in the stand once in a while and like to have a little protection. Ive always liked to open up the pelvis and sternum to cool off the deer a little quicker. I usually saw through the pelvic bone but I might give that new "Butt out" tool a shot this year. Looked at the demo on youtube and looked pretty easy. Better than cutting out the, um, the butt hole (I hope that doesn't get sensored) in the field. Then I can just open up the pelvic bone later on with a saw with fear of cutting the bladder. I think every person has there way of doing it, I guess whatever way you are used to and are best at it the best way.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I carry string, a sharp knife, gloves and rope (drag, hang,emg shelter)and a butt out tool. I used the butt out last year and it worked wonderfully. I think a lot of what you carry depends on your situation. Some people have 20 yd drag to the ATV and then a 10 min drive to the house. In that case I'd just carry my pocket knife and do it all back home. In my case the deer is a fat mullie doe at the top of a mountain, dragging through thick sage brush and down steep slopes. This year, if I'm lucky, i'm going to try just skinning it and cutting off the meet and putting it in bags. All I want is the hide and the meet anyway.Did I mention that I hate dragging?

Quick Reply: Field dressing essentials!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.