Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sinkholes and Deer

Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sinkholes and Deer

After doing some scouting the other day on my parents property and I noticed a lot of travel routes along the higher ground between sinkholesand thought that this area would be a good place for a stand setup. Have any of you who live in areas with sinkholes noticed any affects on deer travel around them? We have always noticed that they like to bed down on the sunny side of the sinkholes during the day and the does like to bed down in the isolated sinkholes in the morning. Just thought I would see if anyone else has had experiences hunting around these geologic features.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sinkholes and Deer

I can understand deer bedding in sinkholes in open country, if the sinkhole offers cover like trees or brush.

Sinkholes do "move" air, and in winter, deer may be seeking the warm (50 ish degrees) air that could come out of one.

Other than that, I can't see much about them that ould attract deer.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Good points. I am not thinking that sinkholes attract deer. I am wondering if anyone has noticed specific deer travel paterns around sinkholes.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted around sink holes in SW Virginia with good success. We mostly find deer layed up in them in the mid-morning hours. Especially if there is a lot of pressure around you. I have found the best success for sinkholes are the high side, south slope where the sun will warm it up in colder months. We have jumped so many deer out of them that we now make it a routine man drive for most of them. This is good when you only have a few, 1-3, people. I would definetely pay attention to them. Most of ours are in open fields too which makes it easier to shoot when they bust out of there. Hopefully this helps
Old 07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have plenty of Sink Holes around here in Missouri and as the Hunting pressure goes up I usually sneak around the one about 75 yards behind our house and jump several deer up every year!During Bow Season I walk the old 1-lane gravel road on the back side of the sink hole and have jumped up deer bedded on the hig sunny side of the hole...almost got a shot off last year but the deer picked up my movement as I drawed the bow back and ran off through the field! [:@]
Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen many deer holing up around sinkholes especially if there are thick willows in the area.