Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kill or harvest?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kill or harvest?

I'm a killer
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dont even use harvest in relation to crops. You bail hay, cut corn, beans and wheat, and pick garden vegetables or fruit.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

PC gone AMOK. I kill and eat!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

You may take offence to the term harvest but that is how I look at it. Yes I have killed the animal but I am harvesting it from the wild. The entire experience of the hunt is important. I have never looked at it as going out for, "the kill". Venison is the primary red meat that my family eats. Besides getting out for the experience my main goal is to put meat in the freezer for the following year. As to the term, "city folk", that is a huge generalization. I spent much of my youth on the farm but have been living as "city folk", for the last 35 years. Is qualification of a hunter's skills based on where they live? Because I live and hunt in Canada where the average buck is 100 lbs. or more than the avg. buck in Texas, I'm a better hunter? I think not. (it's just the development of the species due to geographic location).
Dreamer- I do not take offense at the term "harvest", it just kind of strikes me as if the speaker is trying to disguise what he is doing. I agree that the experience is in the hunt. I don't think that I have ever had an unsuccessful deer hunt even though I have had many where I did not shoot (or GET or KILL) a deer. I might call it HARVEST in a high fence but my personal values would not allow high fence. I have been "city folk" for a bit longer than you, 49 years since leaving Manson, a small farming community. I too feel fortunate to live in an area where we have big deer. Look at Iowa in the record books. I am not particularly a trophy hunter as I shoot fawns and does, that being said, I have probably let deer pass that are larger than most Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi hunters see in a life time. They may be much better hunters than I.

About the horns vs antlers question- If a hunter uses the term "horns" it does not bother me because I know that he is using the term intentionally knowing that it is incorrect. If a non-hunter uses "horns" it grates me wrong because I believe they are UNintentionally using the wrong term. Ya gotta be in the hunting fraternity to use "horns". Even novices should not use that term until after we show them the secret handshake.

Bob
Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I can't believe anyone would care what term someone uses to refer to the taking of wildlife. Some of you guys might want to consider getting back on your Meds.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: matt1214

I'm a killer
I'm a hunter.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Who the hell cares?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Evidentally you care since you took time to read the whole thread and then post a comment
Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Evidentally you care since you took time to read the whole thread and then post a comment
Before I make you feel like a moron, let me first teach you how to spell:

Evidently - E-V-I-D-E-N-T-L-Y

Now that yourspelling lesson is over I will feel free to inform you that I did not read a single reply to this thread, let alone the whole thread as you seem to have perceived.

So, evidently you are indeed a moron.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you did not read a single reply in this thread, then how could you have noticed my spelling error.

Here's your sign

Quick Reply: Kill or harvest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.