Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Update on the price of corn

Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Update on the price of corn

On an earlier post, we talked about the price of corn. I've been looking around, and the average price of corn in northeast LA. is $8.75 for a 50 pound bag. That is $9.62with tax. I've heard because of the floodingin the midwest, that pricecould increase.Has the price gone up yet in your area? My deer and turkeys may have to do with a little less corn this year.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Update on the price of corn

They are now saying that there may not be as much of an increase because farmers planted more land in corn than had been predicted earlier.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer and turkeys like more than corn, perhaps you could try something else.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Or try hunting without bait[8D]
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually hunt very little on corn. I just like to feed my deer and turkeys. Of course it's illegal to hunt turkeys over corn. I'll take a few people hunting throughout the season,and if they haven't killed a deer yet, I will put them on a feeder to give them a better chance at a doe. You are wasting your time hunting a buck over a feeder on my land.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Funny but this time last year the state of Illinois was giving away 50 pound bags of corn to landowners. I told my dad about it and he came home for 100 pounds of the stuff.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Deer and turkeys like more than corn, perhaps you could try something else.
Yes they do, but there is only so much you can put in a feeder. I used to use a wheat-corn mix, but wheat costs about $13 a bag. My turkeys can do without it. The soil in my area is poor, so it would cost a whole lot more to plant and maintain food plots. I don't have the equipment to fix and maintain plots. I do have a lot of white oaks, so deer feed heavily in the fall on my property, so I hunt primarily around the white oaks.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I just paid $10.39 a bag here in Virginia. I don't hunt over bait, but it makes it easier to get pictures with my game camera.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coryj

I just paid $10.39 a bag here in Virginia. I don't hunt over bait, but it makes it easier to get pictures with my game camera.
Ouch!! That is unbelievable. I can remember just a few years ago I could buy a 50 pound bag of corn for $3. That is a 150% increase in just three years. Damn gas price is affecting everything.[:@]
Old 07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought that one of my cousins down in Calcasieu Parish was using some sort of rice chaff that worked pretty good. that stuff is cheap or they give it away.

Quick Reply: Update on the price of corn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.