Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand or Blind your thoughts?

Old 07-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stand or Blind your thoughts?

For bowhunting by a foodplot which would you rather blind or stand i personaly like stands because their out of the deers smell range but a blind willmask sound,movement and,some scent
Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stand or Blind your thoughts?

Hunting kuk,
For me, I like the blind for several reasons.
1. My family (wife and kids) has asked that i not climb a tree for safety reasonsto hunt. I would have to agree with them that it is much safer.

2. I often hunt with kids so a blind allows for their movement and mine. Often i am peeling or adding clothing during the hunt as weather conditions change.

3. I don't want weather to be a factor when deciding to hunt that day or not since i have a very limited number of total days to hunt in a year. I can stay warmer in the blind (no wind) and i can stay dry in snow or rain.

4. Did i mention no tree climbing.

5. It's fairly easy to move locations (more so than a tree stand in my opinion)

That being said i believe more people use tree stands and their is probably a reason for that. I would have to believe getting up above them to contol scent plays a factor and the fact that the deer probably look up for danger less than they do on the ground
Old 07-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

thank you i am 13 and my mom is nerve racked when i climb a tree but for gun hunting it all stands for me but i just wasnt shore about the bows
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have top agree that for a first time bow hunter a blind would be best.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Hunting KUK - Just make sure you wear a safety harness if you're in a tree stand. When I was 34 (you'd think I'd know better) I decided not to wear one in a 15 foot ladder stand. I fell out of the stand on my back. OUCH. I was in rough shape for several months.

Unless I'm hunting with my kids, I still prefer tree stands (with a safety harness of course). Even after the fall, I still like to hunt from 25+ feet high as it reduces the deer scenting me and seeing slight movement

Safety first, then fun
Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

I am going to try a blind this year, with the shoot thru windows..
Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cjwink

I am going to try a blind this year, with the shoot thru windows..
Some words of advice.
Make sure your blind is big enough and then practice out of it.
There are many blinds that become too small when you use the mesh windows. You have to be able to come to full draw within the enclosure. Maybe that sounds simple but try it. If you are on the edge of what you can pull you may not be able to pullit (draw weight)within these strict confines.

Also, sitting on a chair and shooting creates some issues with your legs and the bow limbs. practice the shots at different angles (read: left to right within the blind) before you try and hunt
Old 07-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on the blind being big enough. I was going to buy a blind like my buddies, but we set up his first. I am only a few inches taller than him, but I could barely draw my bow back. After I drew, I could not move around the blind to make a shot![:@]
Old 07-01-2008, 05:21 PM

I think that they are both good. If you're hunting in place where you don't have any good trees, a ground blind is ideal, you can move around a little more and scent control is good. Stands are what I mostly use. They give you a good vantage point, and your not as detectable as you would be sitting on the ground.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd much rather being in a stand! To me, I just like being above the deer. A good safety harness is all you need!

Quick Reply: Stand or Blind your thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.