Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATV's ? Yes or No?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Spike

Default ATV's ? Yes or No?

I was thinking of buying an ATV for use in scouting areas and hunting. I was wondering do you guys feel that the fumes from the ATV would get on clothes and stick with you on your hunt?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ATV's ? Yes or No?

Nope...I've even killed deer with my Honda parked a few yards away from my stand...When hunting fields especially, they are great because you leave no scent walking in...
Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish there were a responsible solution to the atv issue.....

something like to retrieve game only.....or perhaps 1 day before season to get into camp, and out....

certainly against open freedom just cruising all over etc...

What if those electric carts were legal? quiet....get into camp only.....

Old 06-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't think they affect deer all that much especially if they are used to go in and out to camp or to retrieve game. Do what you want on private land but open ATV use on pub land just rips it up and creates a nuisance. The sounds of a 4 wheeler does push elk away so the use out west needs to carefully done to not ruin the hunt for everyone.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

They dont effect deer as much as most people think. Ive sat on my gator with it running and had deer walk right out infront of me and stand theere nad walk away, last week we had a fawn walk right up to us on the gator, we could have reached out and pet it but we didnt want to get human scent on it.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on where you hunt. I hunt private land and one of the reasons I like it so much is to be away from them. I'm not afraid to walk..........
Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt private land and I use an electric golf cart. I don't really care for the ATV's!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 AM

I hate them, but only because once gun season starts people are riding them all over at all times in areas where I am trying to hunt. Where I live there is simply no reason to be riding one unless you are retrieving a deer, and there is no way these people are killing this many deer. They are just too lazy to walk a quarter mile to their stand and stay there for any amount of time.

I have also had a hunting spot completely ruined during the off season because some people turned the small woods I was hunting into an off road track with a bunch of atv's. Completely tore it up and drove off nearly every living creature in it. I was beyond pissed. They were trespassing to boot.

Paul
Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

A neighbor of a property that I hunt hasa golf cartand I see him go in and out of his stand. I'll tell you, those things are a heck of a lot quieter than a ATV. Granted it doesn't have any of the offroad power, but if there is no snow or very little, they seem to work fine. Seen him throw a deer on it and brought it out nicely. I like it because a stand that had produced in the last7 years on opening day (except for me) is near his trail into his stand so it helps not spooking the deer.

There is a 4 wheeler that is at our property as well, but it only comes out for pulling deer deep in the woods. There's just no reason to have all that noise in the woods during deer season. I think trying to get into the woods quietly is half the battle!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I hate them, but only because once gun season starts people are riding them all over at all times in areas where I am trying to hunt. Where I live there is simply no reason to be riding one unless you are retrieving a deer, and there is no way these people are killing this many deer. They are just too lazy to walk a quarter mile to their stand and stay there for any amount of time.

I have also had a hunting spot completely ruined during the off season because some people turned the small woods I was hunting into an off road track with a bunch of atv's. Completely tore it up and drove off nearly every living creature in it. I was beyond pissed. They were trespassing to boot.

Paul
My sentiments exactly. Here in CO they are a huge problem on public lands during deer and elk seasons.
I go hunting to get away from traffic...not get into it.

Quick Reply: ATV's ? Yes or No?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.