Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Lok Claims .....

Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 AM

Default Scent Lok Claims .....

Due to the lawsuits in Illinois and Minnesota against Scent Lok for "diversity fraud", some people have questioned whether the activated carbon in Scent Lok claimed or impled that their clothingeliminates or reduces 100% of your odor 100% of the time -which is one of the reasons why the lawsuits were started.

T.R.Michels recently posted this"part" of a Scent Lokmagazine advertisement on his website.

What do you think of this claim?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Lok Claims .....

Ok I'll add my 2 cents.

Its like any advertisment. You have to use some common sense. How can you test or prove them right or wrong. And if you don't get thier results how can you prove you used it exactly the way you should have. 100% is a big number and it may have left them open to lawsuit.

My point is there is hundreds of miricle weight loss addverts that claim to have made people loose weight when nothing else could. If you read the fine print on these they say "when combined with diet and exercise" Well let me tell you if you just diet and exercise you'll loose weight.

If it seems like a miricle "too good to be true product" just figure its not all they say it is.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Their product has been independantly tested under lab conditions with dogs attempting to find hidden volunteers wearing the suit, it failed every single test since the dogs found them each time. Does anyone here doubt that a deer can smell as well as a dog? So much for their claim. The carbon they use is also bonded to the fabric, so half of it is already useless since it can't adsorb through glue,and what little is left clogs quickly, as anyone who works with AC can verify. If carbon lasted for years then Brita pitchers wouldn't need a new cartridge every 2-3 months, and water has far less to give up than any human. Frankly I hope the FTC drags them to court and puts them out of business for defrauding the public.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm almost worn out with all this scent lok/blocker/etc. talk. I' don't use it, don't plan on it, but the products themselves have undoubtedly given many hunters an extreme amount of confidence.

Kind of makes me wonder just how elusive deer are anyway.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kevin - you hit the nail on the head. They have the same capabilities as a bloodhound!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

Kevin - you hit the nail on the head. They have the same capabilities as a bloodhound!
Better in some respects, a bloodhound can't analyze six seperate odors at once. I'd stack a buck against a dog anytime.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

scent lok and scent blocker suits are a joke. i really feel sorry for all the hunters who fell for those gimmicks.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't their pattents almost up anyways? Or was it that they got rejected for a new pattent? Anyone remember?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a supporter of scent-lok, but not for the reasons hinted here. If you read that excerpt carefully it does NOT claim they block 100% of scent 100% of the time. It simply claims carbon activated cloth does. This is pretty much fact, carbon activated clothing does do this, they carefully worded it to not say scent lock clothing blocks 100% of your scent 100% of the time. It can't, it doesn't cover 100% of your body.

the biggest hit against it that I have is that it cannot possibly be chemically reactivated in a dryer, they can't get the temperature hot enough to get the carbon to release the trapped scent. Doing so would turn the clothing to ash.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:44 AM

It takes 800 degrees F to "activate" charcoal to the scent absorbtion state....

Can likely doubt your clothes dryer reaches 800 degrees F, and if it did the garment would melt/burn beforethe charcoalwas able to"reactivate". Common sense dictates much.....

Scent Loc suits might indeed be "activated" when they leave the factory, but as soon as they are exposed to open atmosphere they begin "absorbing scent". Activated charcoal is like a sponge, and can only hold so much before it stops absorbing. The one you buy at Walmart likely absorbed all it's going to absorb before you even get to the field with it.

With no way to realistically reactivate the charcoal, it's a Suckers Game.

Hunt the wind and rock on..............

Quick Reply: Scent Lok Claims .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.