Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Average Joe vs. The Big Names

Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Average Joe vs. The Big Names

I agree with you Big Tiny but Montana also spent hours and hours reviewing film on the other team's defence (same as scouting for deer...my how trail cams have become so popular). Also, though you make have the same equipment as the PGA pros, do you also have a swing coach, sports psycologist, some one in the trailer to tweek your wedges and shoot 1000 practise shoots at the range before you hit the course? Bet if you did your handicap would go down. A buddy of mine, whom is one of the top outfitters in our province and not cheap, was very frustrated when a group of weekend warriors missed numerous 50 yard or less on quality bucks.He tought the guys would be dissapointed but they were happy as hell just to have the opportunities (I'm sure by they got home the deer were 300 yards, moving fast, and they had to shoot from the hip). Hey putting any one of us experienced hunters from this forum in the place of these TV hosts, I'm sure that we'd be eating tenderloin that night. Maybe we're not photogenic enough (esp. when compared to Tiffany).
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 PM

The size of deer that a hunter has a chance to kill has nothing to do with his skill... it has everything to do with his location...

If you want to watch a hunter... watch those shows...

If you want to watch someone kill big deer watch those...

It's pretty clear if the hunter is decent from watching the show... If he kills a big deer.. bonus...
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Someone with a lot of cash and various sponsors being flown in to a hunting lodge an brought out to a stand already scouted is not a hunter, they are a deer shooter. Take any one of these "professional hunters" and put them out into the big woods and say, "go get a booner". They would be lost and calling for help in less than an hour.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started my own company because I was indeed sick of watching that. There are some unique videos / shows out there - but you really have to search for them.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

If you get a chance to read this months north american whitetail their is an article about a guy from ND. He had film of a monster and his father showed it to a neighbor. The neighbor then went and contacted all of the said big names who paid to have a chance at this guy on the neighbors land. On opening day the average Joe arrowed the monster leaving the tv crews and stars with no footage. This is a brief summary of the story, anyway the good guy got the trophy while competing witht the "superstars" of hunting.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Todd, you've got a great product in my opinion and do things different than what's on tv. To me, it's more like a documentary of your season and shows the good with the bad. I recommend this product to anyone that does watch hunting dvds.

As to the original post, I love watching these guys kill monsters. It's June, the ticks are bad, yet whenever I watch a hunting DVD it gets me pumped for the season.

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

I started my own company because I was indeed sick of watching that. There are some unique videos / shows out there - but you really have to search for them.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I have to check that NAW articleout.

If there was a showthat specifically featured public land hunts only, I would definitely watch all of them. However,that would also direct a lot of hunters to such places and I'd have more competition. So I am OK with what they show now.

[quote]ORIGINAL: JohnnyLonghorns

Todd, you've got a great product in my opinion and do things different than what's on tv. To me, it's more like a documentary of your season and shows the good with the bad. I recommend this product to anyone that does what hunting dvds.

As to the original post, I love watching these guys kill monsters. It's June, the ticks are bad, yet whenever I watch a hunting DVD it gets me pumped for the season.

[quote]ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

Old 06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't watch them at all. Most of them are staged and I really don't have the urge to watch.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:37 PM

I am obsessed with hunting, i think about it almost all day, and i dont get to go as much as i would like to, so watching those shows are ok with me anything related to hunting is good
Old 06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

ORIGINAL: gbrownlee

I once met a guy in Kansas about 3 years ago who was, from what i gathered looking at his trophy room, probabaly the best bow hunter I will ever meet. The guy has killed over40 P&Y bucks in 35 years of bow hunting. He has killed 18 deer over 160" and 3 over 200" between Colorado and Kansas, all on land he scouted, managed and hunted. Talk about someone worth listening to. This guy was simply amazing. He had his entire 100 yard driveway lined on both sides with the "small" sheds (<140") and a bunch of huge ones in his trophy room. He is the guy who should have a show, all on his own land, showing all the time that he spent in the feild,before during and after season.I know he was hunting big buck country, but he knew so much about management and so much about patterning deer it was unbelievable. I hope i meet him again someday and try and learn a few of his tricks.
He didnt do that by being poor though. He either was born into money or inherited it to be able to do what you say he did.
The man is a1st generation corn farmer in Kansas with maybe 1000 acres of corn (at most). I doubt he is "rich" by any means. His house was nothing to brag about, it was what was inside that was amazing. He is truely a hunter, plain andsimple.You have no idea what you are talking about and i find it a little funny that you were so sure of what you said.

Quick Reply: Average Joe vs. The Big Names

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.