Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help w/ Kansas hunting

Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Need help w/ Kansas hunting

Two of usare going to try the great State of Kansas for whitetail hunting in the early muzzleloader season in 2008. I am interested in information on good walk-in areas (in units 15 or 16), public land in the area, or info on available short term lease situations on private land. Any help would be appreciated. I have 500 acres in SE Ohio with excellent trophy potential, and also a great farm on the PA/OH line that could be offered for trade to hunt a good private area in Kansas for one week in early muzzleloader. If I could find someone willing, I would also be willing to pay someone to get an area "corned up" and maybe even run some trail cams for me for a couple of weeks. We are looking to create the best opportunity without paying an arm and a leg for a fully guided hunt. If you have any info, suggestions, or prospective deals, please call me (330-351-9863) or leave some info on this thread. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need help w/ Kansas hunting

Call the Kansas Game and Parks commission.

They will mail you a Public Land guide.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Finally a deer hunter with brains. you don't need to make an outfitter rich to have a good chance at a huge buck in ks. Pm me and i will give you the numbers of some good whia areas in 16 for whitetails based on last years book.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good to see local guys trying to help the out of staters out like this and save them some $$! If you do go to Kansas hunting, make sure you make a stop in Lawrence, KS to pay tribute to the Greatest College Basketball Program in the World, the Kansas Jayhawks!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 AM

I appreciate the help from youg guys. I have ordered the public land guide, and also found a website (www.kansashuntmaps.com) that has aerials of all of the Walk-in areas in Kansas (for a fee, of course). Any insider info would be much appreciated, and the offer for a hunt swap still stands. Trophy buck opportunity in Kansas for a trophy buck (or turkey) opportunity in Ohio.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

Don't want to pop your bubble there Pard,but do you have any idea how difficult drawing a NR ML tag in one of those two units is going to be? Do you and your Bud have preference points? I've hunted KS for many years,and I'd sure recommend setting your sites a little lower.... What I mean is, look at units where the numbers of available tags give you some reasonable shot at drawing. On the up side...... Regs have changed,and you can now use a scope during the ML season. Two seasons ago a good friend was filming an early season ML hunt,and had a very nice 150 class buck at 50 yds for over thirty mins. You could clearly see the buck on camera,but he could not,for the life of him,see him through those iron sites in the early morning light. My buddy was never able to get a shot. You guys should never run into that problem now that scopes are legal.... Best of luck to you.....
Old 06-21-2008, 01:43 PM

Drawing a permit this year should not be a problem in any unit due to the increase in availible permits. They did the drawing yesterday so you should be able to log on to KDWP website and see if you were successfull soon. Would not advise cornning up a spot on a whia area. Too many other people.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 PM

Well, we managed to draw our muzzy tags in area 16, with #15 being our alternate area. I've been lookin at a lot of aerials but it's tough to tell much, other than it looks like a blind might be better equip to pack than a treestand. Any info is certainly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

They will be feeding on beans and corn during early season,I have always had best luck in evenings unless I can find a bedding are a ways from the where they are feeding.Brush those blinds in good and you should be ok.Be prepared for sqeeters and ticks
Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks, habitat, hadn't thought about thebugs, but I guess it'll be pretty hot. I can deal with the mousquitos, but how should one prepare for ticks?

Quick Reply: Need help w/ Kansas hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.