Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

a " black" / whitetail?

Old 02-25-2003, 08:49 PM

Default a " black" / whitetail?

The other day while taking a drive around the section I spotted the usual groupe of baldies with an interesting addition, a black doe. She was black as coal starting on the neck a little above the back line all the way down to just above the knees where she started lightening up again. Never seen anything like it. Anybody?
Old 02-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: a " black" / whitetail?

I have only seen pictures of black deer they are very rare. I did see a black bull elk in Utah while bow hunting . It wasn' t coal black but a very dark grey .
Old 02-26-2003, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes there have been others whom have posted photos of these deer on this site. The black deer that you refer to is called I think a Melanistic Deer, it is kindof like the opposite of an albino. A albino has a total lack of pigmentation, whereas a Melanistic Deer has an over obundance, total saturation of pigment. Your are lucky to have seen it, I have never had the pleasure of seeing one in person, just photos.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:17 AM

my wife saw a black doe durning BP season this year.
the week after the season went out we saw her run across the road.
I havwe carried my camera ever since hoping to get a pic.
if I do you will bet I will get it on here.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:29 AM

From what I understand(from whitetail shows and articles), a black-colored whitetail is more rare than an albino. We all know how rare an albino whitetail is..... Congratulations to you. I wish I could see one. Even seeing a wild albino would be cool.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like your a lucky one to see one. did u get a pic of her?
Old 02-26-2003, 11:48 PM

Unfortunately no picture. But if a deer like this is that rare I think the camera' s goin in the truck tomorrow! Thanks for the info. If I can get her on film I' ll post the pic.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:20 AM

LadyForge hit it on the head. I saw one years ago,haven' t seen one since.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was coming out of the woods last year while bow hunting in NH. As I stepped out onto the logging road, I heard this extremely loud screech, like that of a mounting lion. It actually startled me as it caught me by suprise. I had never heard that sound before and when I turned in that direction, I saw this hugh buck slowly walking across the logging road with his head low and neck extended, like a goose. What caught my immediate attention was this buck was totally black, as black as a black bear that lives in these same woods. I later learned from an article by Leonard Lee Rue III, that he was probably the alpha buck, not because of his color, but because the sounds he made were sounds of aggression. He was the big guy and he wanted me to know it. I later talked to one of the loggers who was working the areas and he said he saw that same buck twice during the summer, but not since. He also said the buck was totally black and was in the 200+ pounds, and he saw him within 35 yds both times. This logger told me if I wanted a black deer, he was it, but if I wanted a bigger deer, he saw one heavier than him....in the same woods. Well, I never saw that deer again, nor have any of my hunting buddies, but it was a sight I will not soon forget.....Jimmy S
Old 02-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: a " black" / whitetail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.