Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

insulated boots what gramm

Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: insulated boots what gramm

As others have said it depends on how cold it is out and how active you are,walking versus sitting.Keeping your feet warm is more than what boots you have on it is keeping your hands,head and core warm.If the rest of your body is plenty warm your feet wont get cold as easily.
If you are on stand for extended periods of time I would buy Ice Breaker over boots and put them on once you can situated on stand,warm dry socks,loosely fitting 600 gram boots,and the Ice Breaker over boots will keep your feet warm.If it is really,really cold puttign your feet directly in the overboots with the warm merino wool socks and a couple of disposable handwarmers placed in the cinched up over boot will do the trick.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Somethng works for everyone, problem is no one will know what works for you.

Answer these questions:

Are you sitting on stand all day?
Are you in a tree , or on the ground?
Are you cold blooded, have poor circulation?
Does your body get cold, or just your feet?

If you are still hunting, you may need a lighter boot. Always try the Merino wool socks in different thicknesses. They are the best.

If you are stand hunting wear your normal boots and get a pair of these: http://www.icebreakerinc.com/php/bootBlanket.php

If you are still cold, like saskatchewan cold, get one of these:http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/index.htm

You can also try isometric exercises while on stand, like scrunching up your toes for sets of 100 or 200. This will keep your blood flowing to your extremities. Also, keep in mind that your blood flow lessens to your extremities as you cool down. You can also get a few of those heat packs and place them near your kidneys and this will help your citculation. Don't buy those cheap ass handwarmers. go to the pharmacy and buy a 6 pack of those sore neck heat pads. cut them in half and place one near your kidneys. They are awesome. I hunt in very cold weather and I stay on stand from before first light until dark.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you walk alot I wouldn't go more than 800 gram. if you plan on sitting a great deal go with all you can get... 1200 .
But if you are realy going to be sitting alot you may want to go with pac boots, or carry boot blankets with you.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MECHDOC

Here in northern Illinoiswhen itsbelow 30 F and Im going to be on stand all day I use no less than 2000gr wind and waterproof bootwith heavy merino wool socks.I can sit on stand8 hrs with minimal movementand stay toasty warm.Early season I use 800gr.
which brand and model do you have?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Remnard

Somethng works for everyone, problem is no one will know what works for you.

Answer these questions:

Are you sitting on stand all day?
sitting
Are you in a tree , or on the ground?
both
Are you cold blooded, have poor circulation?
maybe alittle
Does your body get cold, or just your feet?
feet
If you are still hunting, you may need a lighter boot. Always try the Merino wool socks in different thicknesses. They are the best.

If you are stand hunting wear your normal boots and get a pair of these: http://www.icebreakerinc.com/php/bootBlanket.php

If you are still cold, like saskatchewan cold, get one of these:http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/index.htm

You can also try isometric exercises while on stand, like scrunching up your toes for sets of 100 or 200. This will keep your blood flowing to your extremities. Also, keep in mind that your blood flow lessens to your extremities as you cool down. You can also get a few of those heat packs and place them near your kidneys and this will help your citculation. Don't buy those cheap ass handwarmers. go to the pharmacy and buy a 6 pack of those sore neck heat pads. cut them in half and place one near your kidneys. They are awesome. I hunt in very cold weather and I stay on stand from before first light until dark.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wear only one kind ofCOLD weather boot, the Northern Outfitters Expedition Boot. I stand hunt only for whitetails, and my walks are fairly short. This isn't a good boot for really long hikes into the woods, as they are bulky.These boots WILL keep your feet warm down to -60F! You don't want to get them wet though, there not designed for that. But when your dealing with cold, this isn't usually an issue.
I learned about these boots from an article written by Jim Shockey, about keeping warm while huntingin Sask and Alberta. He said they are the warmest boot he's ever worn. Iuse them when I go to Alberta, and I have to agree with him! They were about $200 when I bought mine , they may be a bit cheaper now.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

For stalking I wear 600gram Thinsulate. In the stand I wear my Mickey Mouse boots.

chris
Old 06-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt all over in many different temp ranges and some with snow cover. I use unlined leather for warm weather and 400 gram leather for Rocky Mountain hunting where I am walking a lot and always moving. In Vermont I wear rubber 800 gram LaCrosse rubber boots because we often hunt in snow. For real cold weather especially if sitting on a stand...something I don't usually do much of I wear rubber 1200 gram Lacrosse boots. For ice fishing I use 2000 gram Cabelas rubber boots or my Lacrosse Ice Kings.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i live in south west indiana last year with regular boots my feet froze so bad i had to stop hunting mid way through the gun seasonso i am buying a par of insulated hunting boots

what wieght do i need 200 to 400 400 to 800 or 1000 plus
it gets cold here usasly not under 5 or so most of the time it is like 15 to 30
I live right up 64 from you near Louisville, I have a variety of weights to accomodate my situation:

1) 200 gram pacs for temps down to 30
2) 800 gram for temps from 30-0
3) "Bunny Boots" for temps under zero

I also have heated footbeds for those especially frosty days, and Arctic Shield boot blankets for treestand hunting, and Ihave various types of socks and insoles. Most of my hunting is done on the ground, usually from a blind, contact with the ground can drain the heat from your feet quickly.You can't depend on a single type of footwear for all situations, a boot that keeps your feet warm at zero will make your feet sweat at higher temps or while hiking to your stand/blind, which will make them feel colder.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff already mentioned.

A couple of mistakes I have made that I suggest you avoid. For sure make certain that your boot is large enough to accomadate your foot size + a thick sock. Boots that aretoo tight will restrict blood flow and this will make the "cold foot" syndrome even worse. I have packed my foot and multiple pairs of "hunting socks" into my hunting boot only to sit miserable all day because I had more or less cut the blood flow to my toes to a minimum !!! The right fit and one good pair of insulated sock is enough. Another mistake is to buy a good isnulated boot then put your foot into a pair of"hunting socks" that are 50% or more cotton. Been there and done that too.Cotton blends areOK for moderate weather but not when it is near freezing and certainly not down in or below the teens.Buy a sock that is well made, high in wool fiber and wicking man made fibers .... and no cotton! None of these are cheap, but it is $10-$15 well spent !!! Try adding a thin Thisulate "sock liner". These are relatively inexpensive and are designed to move sweat away from your foot quiclkly and efficiently.

If none of this works for you, try an "over boot". These are rather bulky, and essentially a "sleeping bag" for feet. Theyare super warm, especially when a couple of "Hot Hands" are tossed into each. My uncle, who was still hunting well into his80's used these. He swore by them. I may try them in 20 or more years ...certainly hope to do so.